65 replies to this topic

#31 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:39 AM

It has the correct type of roof gutter/drip rail/water drain slot for an early 70's shell. Also has correct wheel trims and tail lights. Looks like it may have the correct early mk3 stepped inner chrome door window moulding. Can see it has an hs4 carb which wasn't standard on uk spec mini 1000's unless they were automatics and it looks like it may have a dual circuit master cylinder that wasn't standard on uk spec cars untill 76ish. Riveted engine number plate may have been removed due to engine overhaul and the number stamped into the block. Looks to be the correct A series engine type though.
Looks like a pretty genuine car with potential though.

#32 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

....Looks like a pretty genuine car with potential though.

Unfortunately it's nowhere near genuine :(

Last night i couldn't be sure without further info -that's why i asked about the rear bulkhead, Authi used a lot of locally made parts but panels were UK made.

Austin Morris Group Vin plate = UK built (Authi had their own plates) & XL2S1N VIN number = 1974 at the earliest.

As you stated HS4 isn't right for 1971 (you might find this handy: https://issuu.com/th...ogue_16_2012/89 )

Edited by Itsaminithing, 01 August 2018 - 02:41 PM.

#33 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

....Looks like a pretty genuine car with potential though.

Unfortunately it's nowhere near genuine :(

Last night i couldn't be sure without further info -that's why i asked about the rear bulkhead, Authi used a lot of locally made parts but panels were UK made.

Austin Morris Group Vin plate = UK built (Authi had their own plates) & XL2S1N engine number = 1974 at the earliest.

As you stated HS4 isn't right for 1971 (you might find this handy: https://issuu.com/th...ogue_16_2012/89 )

Maybe it can be genuine MK3 in Authi style ?  The last letter in the VIN is 'Z'.

#34 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:49 PM

It seems to be a Mk3, but the roof/gutter only means it's built before 1979.

Check under the bonnet, & look at the bolts holding the front subframe to the body, if it has two small bolts at each end then it is a Mk3, if it is one big bolt each end then it's a 1976-79 Mk4.

Z on the VIN plate now that changes everything (well spotted :-))

The code letters i've found so far are-

A= built in the UK

B= Belgium

U= South Africa

K= Malta

P or PB = New Zealand

Z= built somewhere else!    OK it doesn't say where but it isn't a UK assembled car, & it doesn't look like an Spanish Authi, or an Italian Innocenti, & Irish cars would be RHD, so i can only guess Portugal (?)

(Also found out that some engines assembled abroad had the engine number stamped rather than having a plate)

Edited by Itsaminithing, 04 August 2018 - 09:39 AM.

#35 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:20 PM

It seems to be a Mk3, but the roof/gutter only means it's built before 1980.

Check under the bonnet, & look at the bolts holding the front subframe to the body, if it has two small bolts at each end then it is a Mk3, if it is one big bolt each end then it's a 1976-79 Mk4.

Z on the VIN plate now that changes everything (well spotted :-))

The code letters i've found so far are-

A= built in the UK

B= Belgium

U= South Africa

P= New Zealand

Z= built somewhere else!     OK it doesn't say where but it isn't a UK assembled car, & it doesn't look like an Spanish Authi, or an Italian Innocenti, & Irish cars would be RHD, so i can only guess Portugal (?)

(Also found out that some engines assembled abroad had the engine number stamped rather than having a plate)

It has two small bolts at each end for the front subframe, I checked it. That's why I wrote MK3.

I spot only one Authi text on the car : there is a Leyland / Authi sticker on the rocker cover.

#36 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

I thought the gutter/drip rail changed with the mk4 (around 76) at the same time that the single bolt subframe, dual circui brakes, twin stalk column, small rocker switches etc came along.
Do we know if its got the hole in the rear bulkhead yet?

#37 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:08 PM

Do we know if its got the hole in the rear bulkhead yet?

No. I will drive the car next week maybe, I will check it.

#38 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:16 PM

I thought the gutter/drip rail changed with the mk4 (around 76)....

Roof/gutter design & drip rail soldiered on till 1979 (not 1980 as i originally stated) - it was changed sometime before the 1979 1100 Special came out.

Here's a brochure from 1978 still showing them fitted -http://www.minipassi... range 1978.pdf

I could give you a definitive list of all the changes but your brain would start bleeding & your eyes would fall out through sheer boredom :geek:

For instance did you know the Mk3 internal door hinges are different from later ones? ....yawn, yawn, plop! :ohno:

This car has me baffled at the moment, but i refuse to be defeated!

Edited by Itsaminithing, 02 August 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#39 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:34 PM

I thought the gutter/drip rail changed with the mk4 (around 76)....

Roof/gutter design & drip rail soldered on till 1979 (not 1980 as i originally stated) - it was changed sometime before the 1979 1100 Special came out.

Here's a brochure from 1978 still showing them fitted -http://www.minipassi... range 1978.pdf

I could give you a definitive list of all the changes but your brain would start bleeding & your eyes would fall out through sheer boredom :geek:

For instance did you know the Mk3 internal door hinges are different from later ones? ....yawn, yawn, plop! :ohno:

This car has me baffled at the moment, but i refuse to be defeated!

I'm very corious what you'll find 

#40 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:45 PM

For instance did you know the Mk3 internal door hinges are different from later ones? ....yawn, yawn, plop! 

Now you mention it I did notice the n/s and o/s hinges were both different on my 72 when I had them off recently.
N/s is original and was a smooth casting with a solid pin and the o/s hinge had roll pins and a sculptured casting. O/S door I bought new from austin rover in 88 and came complete with hinges so I fitted it with the new hinges but it always had a larger gap between the door and a panel than between the door and 1/4 panel which always annoyed me. Recently re skinned the o/s door and I machined the hinges down to even up the shut gaps.

#41 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

I don't know if these count or not :

- the sequential number of VIN is 7 digit instead of 6 : 2501169 Z. 

- the car has an MK3 style steering column

#42 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

A 'Z' at the end of the chassis number is correct for an Authi and the engine number looks like an Authi stamping. I think this could be a special edition called the Authi Mini Jubilee built in 1975, if so it would have originally been painted brown. Do you have more pictures?

#43 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

Authi used a lot of locally made parts but panels were UK made.

Authi body panels were locally produced as was everything else except the hubcaps on those models that had them.

#44 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

These are Authi Jubilee seats which look the same as in the car in your picture
29lgr2e.jpg

#45 gaspen

gaspen