5 replies to this topic

#1 alliepereira

alliepereira

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

Hi all. I have recently had an incident with my 1994 spi 1.3i rover mini cooper. My mechanic hasn’t worked it out yet so thought I’d get advice from you lovely lot in the meantime.

So I was going about 70mph on the M23 and from no-where I started to lose revs/power. For a split second I thought “am I on a hill”, but I wasn’t. The speedometer dropped fast, so I pulled over. When I pressed the gas peddle it just gave like a guttural empty sound – no growling power revs like normal. It also wasn’t going anywhere, and eventually cut out all together, and would start up again.

I wanted to check it wasn’t the clutch that had gone, so with the engine off, I put it in first and raised the clutch to the bite point. It nudged forward a few times – so I know the clutch is fine.

I tried starting it again, but it  wouldn’t do anything – not even turning over.

When the AA man turned up 40 minutes later, he started up beautifully and purred like a tiger!!! Very frustrating!!! We took him out for a spin and he drove…..but when I try to go fast I can feel there’s something not quiet right with the engine. It feels like a weird hollow gritty sound. He’s going, but doesn’t have the power he should.

The AA man said he 'thinks' it might be dirt in the fuel tank that 'maybe' pulled through....but he's still playing up.

Any ideas guys??

#2 Wiggy

Wiggy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:38 AM

Coils have a tendency to play up when hot, when they're on their way out. Then start behaving when they've cooled. Same happens with coil packs on newer cars.

Check the plugs, to see if any look substantially different from the others.

Could be lots of things. If it were me, I'd start with a service of the ignition components.

Don't suppose you have access to a code reader?

Edited by Wiggy, 09 July 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#3 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

I had an intermittent problem like that shortly before the fuel pump packed up.
Also,as suggested, could be crud in the fuel system. When did you last change the fuel filter? Might be worth changing as a matter of course. But you mention a gritty sound - where is this coming from?

#4 alliepereira

alliepereira

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:46 PM

Hey.

To answer questions: No, I don't have access to a code reader. I changed the spark plugs 2 days ago, and had the air pipes etc checked, and they are all fine.

I will get the fuel pump checked...

When I say 'gritty sounds'... it's difficult to explain... I can feel something through the gas peddle... you get used to the sound of your own engine and something doesn't feel or sound right, but it's subtle. 

when I press on the gas peddle normally the revs will go up and he's off and the engine sounds healthy... but now if I want to go fast it's almost like he trying to but something is 'slipping' or holding him back....he's just not got the power but he's trying...

#5 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hey.

To answer questions: No, I don't have access to a code reader. I changed the spark plugs 2 days ago, and had the air pipes etc checked, and they are all fine.

I will get the fuel pump checked...

When I say 'gritty sounds'... it's difficult to explain... I can feel something through the gas peddle... you get used to the sound of your own engine and something doesn't feel or sound right, but it's subtle. 

when I press on the gas peddle normally the revs will go up and he's off and the engine sounds healthy... but now if I want to go fast it's almost like he trying to but something is 'slipping' or holding him back....he's just not got the power but he's trying...

good chance you broke one of the sparkplug cables during the sparkplug change. The cable is made with graphene and you can easy break the cable when you pull on the wrong side of the cable.

I had this week also a faulty cable, i think in my case the cable broke because of vibrations.

start with changing the cables. Easy fix and not expensive.

#6 alliepereira

alliepereira

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

Hello all..... just thought I'd update this post to let you know what the issue was....it was the Stepper motor, but it's going into the John Cooper garage for a full check too.

Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated  :highfive:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users