5 replies to this topic

#1 joesci

joesci

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

By a brand new member as well! I must be filling out some bingo cards here.

My 1275 MPi is looking to be Stage 1'd. It already has a Fletcher backbox fitted because the stock pipe had effectively rusted into dust, so buying a Stage 1 parts as a 'kit' makes little sense. I figure I just need an LCB Manifold (arguable for MPis I've heard), upgraded intake somehow and some better bits and bobs while I'm at it, like spark plugs, ignition lines and the like.

The manifold is easy enough, but I'm sure you all know there seems to be endless debate over the intake, mostly coming down to preference.

I've decided against a 57i, for two reasons, I've heard they're no good on injection minis performance wise (is this true?) and also because it seems widely accepted that the stock box with a K&N/PC element inside performs better.

So, keeping with the stock box, what are my options? I've read that a stock box with extra holes works the best, but I've also read that this mod shouldn't be done on injection minis. Is there anything I can do with this box, keeping in mind it's an MPI, to squeeze whatever improved performance I can out of it? Would extending/fashioning a longer induction pipe that ends closer to the grill be of any benefit?

I've been looking at this

https://www.minispor...ction-pipe.html

Which quite frankly, looks pretty silly. It looks shorter than the stock pipe so logic tells me would receive warmer air. Why is it so expensive? Is it for the S works badge?

#2 tmsmini

tmsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:20 PM

My one opinion on the exhaust manifold is to stick with the cast manifold and get the Maniflow downpipe. I am not sure the LCB has any real performance advantage in everyday driving. I just switched back the cast manifold on two of our cars.

Terry

#3 Wiggy

Wiggy

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

Anything you do past an exhaust on an MPi is going to gain you pretty much nowt. 'Stage 1' wise, anyway.

Rather than buy performance leads, or plugs etc; I'd save my pennys for a better head. Expensive, yes. But that'll make a real difference.

#4 joesci

joesci

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:48 PM

Anything you do past an exhaust on an MPi is going to gain you pretty much nowt. 'Stage 1' wise, anyway.

Rather than buy performance leads, or plugs etc; I'd save my pennys for a better head. Expensive, yes. But that'll make a real difference.

Yep, you're right there but unfortunately despite pretty low mile the engine isn't in the best nick, lots of corroded lines, pipes and the like need replacing. My overall intention was to clean up the engine first with these bits then eventually move onto the block itself and see what I can do. The car is a limited edition model so ideally I'd like to keep a lot stock but with it's current condition it needs a bit doing before I move onto serious stuff. Cheers :)

#5 joesci

joesci

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

My one opinion on the exhaust manifold is to stick with the cast manifold and get the Maniflow downpipe. I am not sure the LCB has any real performance advantage in everyday driving. I just switched back the cast manifold on two of our cars.

Terry

I've also heard the stock injection downpipes are pretty fine so depending on condition I may end up leaving both the manifold and downpipe as they are. Cheers both.

#6 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:16 PM

I've got the Cooper S kit on my MPI. It came with the cone type K&N and it was very noisy. It was a nice 'roar', but quickly became tiresome. I went back to the standard box with K&N filter, and noticed no differnece in power, although a dyno probably would.

The only mod that I've done to the standard air box is add the square cooper S works intake. Apparently its good for 1bhp... It is significantly wider that the standard round intake (the round intake would fit inside) so its defo getting more airflow.

Q

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mini Spares