Photo
- - - - -

New Front Drum Back Plate Adjusters Get Loose Very Quickly.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 blob-omatic

blob-omatic

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:44 PM

Hello.

I recently bought a 1977 LHD Mini 1000. One of the good sides about said car was that it recently had a brake overhaul on both ends. At the time of the test drive I thought the brakes were rather bad but this was the second Mini I had ever driven and they were still better than the ones on the first one. The brakes look rather new as there's no corrosion except on the outer side of the drum.

But now I've been adjusting them for a couple of months and it's always the same. The first couple of pushes are really good, it's just ok after a couple of days and it's touching the floor on the first pedal push after a couple of weeks. The upper adjuster on the right front side has backed of and I can turn it with my fingers. It also has some considerable wobble sideways. If I aggressively stomp on the brake right after it's been adjusted I can get it to back off almost immediately.

The adjusters have been always rotated to the same direction as the wheel rotates when going forward.

So is there a way to tighten the adjusters? If not do I need heavy equipment to remove them from the hubs? Since the back plate is supposedly new how do I know the new ones aren't just as bad? Should I just get discs?

#2 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:34 PM

I would go for some 7.5 inch S discs

Pretty much fit and forget compared to drums, much better stopping power and a lot safer.

You really only find out how bad poor brakes are in an emergency

If you want a price PM me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users