7 replies to this topic

#1 jonsi7777

jonsi7777

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hello mini people, I currently have some time on my hands and would love to improve the life of my little 1275 mini and my skills as a beginner in car mechanics. 

It runs well, although struggles to start on these cold winter days (which I assume is normal ==> I am very new to this mechanic lifestyle). So I was asking for some guidance from you mini-experts on what would be a good thing to invest some time into, be it some routine maintenance or a suggestion to what systems or components need specific love/ upgrading. I have noticed that the wiring in the car seems a bit messy and the hoses old, I would love to replace them but It feels quite hard to do anything without removing the engine, which do you think is a manageable task for a beginner, or is it not worth doing if the car is currently running? I am a 3rd-year electrical engineering student, so I do have a basic understanding of electronics and mechanics. I do have a Haynes manual, so instructions seem very clear.

Thanks so much, can't wait to learn more! Just replaced the headlights and 4th spark plug (which appeared oily -> maybe some work to be done there?)

:w00t:  :genius:  :genius:  :wub:

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:16 PM

First thing's first, deal with any rust and rust proof as much of the body as you can

Then deal with reliability - tidy up the wiring, make sure that all wires and cables are away from anywhwre that will become hot. Get a battery immobiliser, fuel filter if it doesn't have one, decent lights and so on. Then if you're wanting to increase power, you'll want to upgrade your brakes first, so steel braided brake hoses and whatever else you want to do with them. Then, once you've got a well rust protected, reliable and relatively safe car, you can start to have fun with engine modifications, cosmetics etc.

If you're a relatively new owner, look up the MoT history of the car and see what issues it's failed on and see if these still need dealing with.

Edited by WillCarter, 10 July 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:28 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stick to loving maintenance and get the feel of your car.

Without in anyway being discouraging, don't run before you can walk.

Just ask.  People here will always try to help you with any questions

#4 jonsi7777

jonsi7777

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:36 PM

Ok sweet, ill check out the rust situation. Also, I was briefly speaking to someone with a past experience in cars with my success in changing the spark plug ( wow, such an achievement hay  :D   ), and he brought up something about a piston bore or seal that is causing the spark plug to become oily. Any guidance on what I can look at to check the state of this, like a topic I can refer to in my Haynes manual, and if this can be done without removing the engine?

Thank you so much for the replies!!

First thing's first, deal with any rust and rust proof as much of the body as you can

Then deal with reliability - tidy up the wiring, make sure that all wires and cables are away from anywhwre that will become hot. Get a battery immobiliser, fuel filter if it doesn't have one, decent lights and so on. Then if you're wanting to increase power, you'll want to upgrade your brakes first, so steel braided brake hoses and whatever else you want to do with them. Then, once you've got a well rust protected, reliable and relatively safe car, you can start to have fun with engine modifications, cosmetics etc.

If you're a relatively new owner, look up the MoT history of the car and see what issues it's failed on and see if these still need dealing with.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stick to loving maintenance and get the feel of your car.

Without in anyway being discouraging, don't run before you can walk.

Just ask.  People here will always try to help you with any questions

#5 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:51 PM

Before you worry too much, check the plug in a week, and see if it has oiled up again.

#6 jonsi7777

jonsi7777

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 10:00 PM

Before you worry too much, check the plug in a week, and see if it has oiled up again.

Ok will do, last thing, what is this disconnected blue cable??

IMG_20180710_WA0003.jpg

also here is the spark plug while im posting 

IMG_20180710_172144.jpg

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37 AM

Blue cable?

Get someone inside the car to pull and push the "Choke" knob while you watch to see if the wire moves in and out of the blue covering.

If this is the disconnected choke cable, it helps to explain why your engine is difficult to start.

Sparking plug.

Ugh,  but at least with that much oil, it wasn't difficult to unscrew.

#8 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

New NGK BP6ES plugs... make sure the gaps are checked / set too, 0.025" for pints and 0.035" for electronic ignition

I guess rust is not too much of an issue in Joburg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users