11 replies to this topic

#1 Classicmini63

Classicmini63

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:56 PM

So I got my mini back on the road this February and haven’t driven it in the rain yet. I’ve made a habit of keeping it out of the wet as rust is the enemy.

How many of you do this and is driving the odd time in the rain really that bad? Surely it’s just the same as a wash? Apart from all the water and dirt going under the car.

I know that salt is the real killer, just wanted some other opinions on driving our classics in the rain.

Cheers

#2 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

I rebuilt my mk2 sprite in 2001, it was used in some torrential weather over the years, even had 2" water in the bottom on one trip to devils bridge.

I'm just decommissioning now after being stood since 2014 and there is no rust to be seen.

It's the salt that kills them in my experience.

#3 2N2222A

2N2222A

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

The main problem with the rain is that the distributor and coil are in the front. If they get wet, it may cause ignition problems

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

Hey Mr. NPN welcome to  the forum

The main problem with the rain is that the distributor and coil are in the front. If they get wet, it may cause ignition problems

Part and parcel of Mini ownership though, some fixes can be applied.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:37 PM

I rebuilt my mk2 sprite in 2001, it was used in some torrential weather over the years, even had 2" water in the bottom on one trip to devils bridge.

I'm just decommissioning now after being stood since 2014 and there is no rust to be seen.

It's the salt that kills them in my experience.

I'll say that the rain will make them rust, but ever so slowly. We don't get, in Australia, the winters you guys get, let alone (in most parts) snow, so our roads here are never salted.

For us, a rotten rear subframe for example is unheard of. All my cars (some going back to 1971) all have their original subframes. In regards to the body. usually, though not always, if the drain holes etc block up with dirt and then get wet and remain that way, it usually causes rust, but it takes years to appear.

Many suspension and undercar photos I see of cars in the UK are almost horrifying, the damage the salt does is incredible.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:50 PM

Salt is the main killer, rain alone will take 10 years to corrode

#7 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

OH NO , just think after 4 weeks of sun shire , when it rain all the minis will fizzle rust to a 50p peace, car are make to last 10 years the die , older cars had rust new cars have electrics, but have seen mini and metro floors vanish in less than a year but me mates got 63 Austin , its got holes but quite solid.

best thing do is scrape ya underseal off every year and redo it new front end every 10/12 years /rear subframe 10/12 years .sills 8/10 years if ya lucky

#8 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

Sitting in a garage with poor air circulation and a damp, thin screed floor doesn't help. That's how I lost my much missed Golf GTI. Lesson learnt.

#9 leyland73

leyland73

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

Plenty of cavity wax and a good coating of wax on the body will keep your mini in good order. I’ve always fitted front wheel arch liners to my minis. Used one of my Clubmans for 10 yrs every day and the A panels scuttle and front panel and wings are still great.

Make sure to cavity wax inside the doors and box sections. Also attend to leaking screen and door rubbers as damp carpets do more damage long after the rain has stopped. Most corrosion starts from the inside of the car due to damp and condensation. Rear subframes need a bit of extra protection in the webbing where water will sit and keep any accumulated mud away from the heel board.

Dynax is great stuff and you’ll get a discount if you’re a mini forum member.

#10 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

Drown everything underside in sticky chain lube paying particular attention to the shock mounting points front and rear and make sure the gap between the rear subframe and heel board is kept clean. Run oil down the body seams and arch trim, take the doors off, turn them upside down and chain lube then until it runs out everywhere.

Drive on and enjoy all year around as unless you have a climate controlled garage it will rot just sitting there.

My daily mk3 has been used and abused for 14 years next to the sea and is the same condition today thanks to loads of oil. I just scrub the green slime off the window rubbers in the spring and its back to shiny.

Back in the day we would spray the underside of our cars in waste oil and drive around the local dusty car park to seal it in, of course that would be frowned upon these days.

As for damp distributors it must be lack of maintenance as I have not personally had an issue with over 60 minis and only a handful of customer cars over a few years.

I have broken 2 radiator fans driving through floods and even knocked a clip off a dizzy cap which gave lots of pre ignition until i opened the bonnet and popped it back on.

I felt quite smug last winter after I passed a Peugeot 307 that was abandoned in flood water up to the top of its wheel trims in my little mini although I had to drive quicker than i should have to keep the water away from my shrunken door seals.

#11 harrythehat

harrythehat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:36 AM

when painting mine and others minis now days I use a sealant (sudoflex or sikkaflex) on the top corner of the wing by the windscreen scuttle and the seems around the front headlight

it makes a cracking job seems are smooth and sealed so no water can get in to rust.

here;s one not to forget

inject old oil or waxoil into front cross member across back of engine, stops it rusting on ends of front shocker mounts

#12 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

One life, live it. Literally not gonna get old and wish I'd used my Mini less. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users