Mikey7094

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

Hi all

I'm looking for advice on what to do with my unfinished mini bodyshell when I move abroad in a couple of months.  I'd like to resume the restoration in a few years when I come back, but I'm worried about it going rusty in the meantime.

I have replaced quite a few panels and done a lot of patching, so now there is a lot of metal that just has the e-coat that the panels came with, or a quick coat with acrylic/hammerite spray cans that I put on just to cover the bare metal.  I wanted to finish all the bodywork before I moved, so I could get the whole thing professionally painted.  But it's become clear that that's not going to happen, and since it doesn't have a proper paint job on it, I worry about it rusting, undoing all my hard work.  It is stored in a shed, which is better than outside but it isn't especially dry, at least not in the winter months.  The car doesn't get rained on, but the shed floor gets damp.

I could pay someone to finish the bodywork and paint the shell, but I'm reluctant to do this, mainly because of the cost, but also because it feels like giving up...  Here are the other two options I thought of:

1. Send it to the paint shop as it is, then finish the bodywork later and send it back to the paint shop to paint the new metal.

2. Spray/paint the unfinished shell with something like WD40, Waxoyl, used engine oil, or whatever, to keep the moisture off.

Are these workable?  Is there anything you can just cover the metal with to preserve it, then scrape off later on?  Do you have any other suggestions?

Of course, the 'ultimate' solution is to get rid of it, but that's my very last resort!  Any other ideas appreciated!

Mikey

#2 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:44 PM

Best thing to do is clean the area where you’ve welded and I’ve always just sprayed etch primer over the bare metal just to prevent surface rust forming.

Make sure it’s off the ground in the shed aswell on some axle stands or something that should help prevent moisture causing a issues

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:34 AM

What about a carcoon?

#4 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:12 AM

not number 2. itll be awful to clean off and bound to cause reactions later on.

i would go to poundland and buy 20 cans of primer and 20 cans of black and give her a respray. 

doesnt have to be the best quality. concerntrate on the seams more than the flat parts of panels.

seams are your biggest issue i should think. if they are finished used some seam sealent to keep the mositure out

#5 Mikey7094

Mikey7094

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:14 AM

I like the look of the carcoon - seems like quite a good long-term investment!  Do you know how much power they use?  The electricity bill after 3 years might be a bit hefty, but maybe worth it.

Painting it might still be the best option.  In my experience, etch primer isn't enough to stop surface rust forming, so I think I would need to spend a weekend doing a full prime and topcoat.

Re: seam sealing - I heard it's important to paint over the sealant as soon as possible.  Is this true, or can it be left unpainted?

I didn't know Poundland did car paint - that's good to know!  Maybe Aldi will also come to the rescue...

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hi,

Done this and definitely e-coat and weld through primer don't stop rust even on new heritage panels!

Poundland,other cheap shops are available, respray would be my recommendation.

Only paint seals from the atmosphere not primers.

However por15 metal ready certainly seems to keep the rust away!

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 12 July 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#7 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:59 PM

https://www.bilthamb...tments/atom-mac

https://www.bilthamb...tments/electrox

#8 Mikey7094

Mikey7094

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:37 PM

Bat - thanks for the advice.  Is Por15 easy enough to get off?

I'm not sure what you meant by this:

Only paint seals from the atmosphere not primers.

Do you mean paint the sealant only with top coat?

Pete - these look interesting.  Do you have experience with either of them?  Can they safely be painted over?

Thanks both

#9 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:48 PM

I would paint it generously with whatever anti-corrosion paint and be prepared to sandblast the shell in 3 years

#10 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hi,

There's more than one por 15 product. "Metal ready" stays on and you paint over it.

Have a Google, see what you think?

You can prime over and paint over sealer but most primers are porous, that's what helps the top coat to bond to it.

Cheers  :proud:

#11 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

I can vouch for the Deox gel and the Electrox primer.

You have to follow the instructions for the Deox to the letter though to get the best from it.

Not tried the Atom-mac

#12 bluedragon

bluedragon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:47 PM

Quality epoxy primer seals out moisture better than any paint other than a marine-rated one. And you won't have to strip it off when you decide to complete your paintwork (though you will need to scuff it down first, and ideally then shoot another coat of epoxy followed by your high-build primer coat.) 

#13 superchiwawa

superchiwawa

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Stuck in Garages

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

Check out rust.co.uk (rustbusters) they sell a non porous primer that covers this problem, particularly for the diy restorer.

It can be a bit confusing figuring out what products to get but their website is definitely worth a read, I’m sure dropping them an email with the same question won’t hurt either... :)

#14 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

Have used the Atom-Mac and it works well, though I think I read somewhere that it is only a short term solution if for instance there will be a couple of months delay before any coating is applied to the bare steel. 

#15 Mikey7094

Mikey7094

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 01:49 PM

Thanks all, very good advice.

Apologies if this is a stupid question:

Is epoxy primer the same as high-build primer?  If not, would high-build primer work just as well at sealing out moisture?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users