#1 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:26 PM

1993 mayfair 1275cc hif38 carb
Before I fitted the kit the car started OK I have da some running issues recently where the car would suddenly cut out and not restart but then would the next day.

Ive had a stage 1 kit lying around so thought I would fit. Fitting was not a problem. I also fitted a new mech fuel pump as I had the manifold etc out (wanted to eliminate this as a issue as before also replaced the rubber fuel hoses.

I fitted a maniflow s/steel lcb manifold straight through pipe and single rear silencer. Also fitted a minispares inlet manifold, AAM needle as recommended and a k+n element into my filter housing.

I am now having real issues starting and running the car. I knew I would have to rolling road the car but I thought I would at least be able to maintain a tune enough to drive to the place however that seems unlikely. The car will start and run for a short while 2-3mins with the choke out part way to keep the revs up. Before its warmed up properly to try and sort the mixture the car will just die off doesn't really splutter just revs die off. Engine stops but then won't restart. I have pulled the plugs and they are slightly we and sooted. I think I have issues with oil leaking from the rocker cover even though it has a new gasket. And smoke will come up from the exhaust As well. I have fitted all new gaskets where applicable and correctly torqued all nuts.

I have contacted a local classic car garage for some help but also was hoping someone might have some pointers for me to check just need to.get the car running well enough to get to the rolling road. 30 min drive.

Thanks
Ed

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

Take the fuel cap off and try again.

If that doesn't work I would suggest the carb needs stripped and cleaned

#3 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

Stupid question try starting with fuel cap off? Or just remove then replace then start?
Thanks for the reply.

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

Stupid question try starting with fuel cap off? Or just remove then replace then start?
Thanks for the reply.

Run it with the cap off, or just check the tank breather isn’t blocked, squashed etc causing a vacuum in the tank

#5 Eds.mini.lulu

Eds.mini.lulu

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 06:24 PM

If this is the issue would it be best to replace the valve near the fuel tank on the return line. I have a later mini which has the charcoal canister. So the vacuum return goes from the carb to the charcoal canister and then back to the fuel tank. Anyone know if the charcoal canister could be causing this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users