7 replies to this topic

#1 merther

merther

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:12 PM

My engine is using a fair amount of oil. We have checked and double checked for leaks and there is none. It also doesn't smoke whatsoever. We can do around 40 - 50 miles starting with the level half way between 'min & max' and end with the level being at minimum.
The car is fitted with a sump guard, and doesn't run an oil cooler. We are thinking maybe the oil is getting too hot and therefore getting thin and somehow passing through the bores? Is this a plausible possibility?
We are planning to fit an oil cooler to see if it helps the problem.
Any thoughts in this would be greatly received.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

Tha's using a lot of oil there.  An oil cooler isn't the answer unless you're making a lot of power.  If there are no leaks then it must be getting past the valve guides and/or rings and burning even if you can't see smoke.  Have you tried a compression test?

#3 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:47 PM

What oil are you using?
Compression and leakdown tests can tell you something. How do the plugs look?

Your sump guard wont help. But depending on the design it shouldnt cause this.

#4 merther

merther

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:51 PM

Using valvoline vr1. We have done a compression test and all cylinders are equal (180) plugs look ok. Not wet and not too black. Sumpguard is the big Scottish type but has holes in for venting.

#5 Thelowrider

Thelowrider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

My engine is using a fair amount of oil. We have checked and double checked for leaks and there is none. It also doesn't smoke whatsoever. We can do around 40 - 50 miles starting with the level half way between 'min & max' and end with the level being at minimum.
The car is fitted with a sump guard, and doesn't run an oil cooler. We are thinking maybe the oil is getting too hot and therefore getting thin and somehow passing through the bores? Is this a plausible possibility?
We are planning to fit an oil cooler to see if it helps the problem.
Any thoughts in this would be greatly received.

May be a daft question but how long are you waiting before checking the oil after a run?

High oil consumption with no presence of an oil leak or smoke during driving just seems abit odd. 

#6 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

Running with a sumpguard fitted will significantly raise the oil temperature if there is no additional oil cooling. Been there, got the t-shirt, and had to replace mains and big-end bearing shells.

It is unlikely to be a problem on shorter runs, but I would strongly advise against using for longer distance motorway trips at higher speeds in summer, even with a very good quality oil such as VR1.

#7 russo

russo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Nelson Inc.

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:23 PM

It may only be leaking when the engine is running and there is oil pressure. Have you checked to see if there is a leak with the engine running, it may be that the oil pressure sender unit may be leaking under pressure. This would not show up when the car is stationary with the engine switched off.

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 July 2018 - 06:15 AM

I'd like to add here that it really needs to burn quite a lot of Oil before it is visible from the exhaust, probably a careful examination of the spark plugs is a better way to determine if it is burning smoke.

In regards to a sump guard and not withstanding the other guys comments here on this, it's been my experience that it has little effect on oil cooling by running with a sump guard for normal driving. If you 'hammer' it often then having one may raise the oil temp. I don't run one on any of my Minis, however, have been running one on all my Mokes spanning over 35 years and goodness knows how many miles and never had an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users