13 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:29 PM

I've brought my mini back to the UK and it needs to have a rear fog light fitted in order to pass the relevant tests and get a UK registration.

All UK spec minis seem to have a bracket bolted through the rear valence but I'm relectant to do this. Is there a reason why I can't hang it from the bumper mounting bolt instead?

I've checked the regulations and it seems ok but no other minis seem to do this so is there something I'm not aware of?

#2 Steve8274

Steve8274

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:42 PM

I’ve got mine fitted under bumper using one of the bolts. It’s not been mot’d yet but can’t see it being an issue.
https://imgur.com/a/8fzdjoW

#3 paulg027

paulg027

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local Club: Tamar Historic Transport Club

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

AndrewT,

Where you mount a rear fog light on your Mini is down to personal preference, so long as you have one and it conforms to UK regulations.  The later Rover Mini's have tapped holes in the rear valence (nearside and off side) in order to mount a Z shaped bracket for an OEM fog light.  Not sure what model of mini you have but you can mount a fog light on the bumper if you wanted, on the off side.  I've seen them also mounted in the centre of the bumper, but you would be wise to check the gov.uk website for the proper regulations.  I hope this helps. 

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

As long as it's on the centreline or to the right hand side and not within four inches of the brake light and is an e-approved fog light with a 21W bulb and has a yellow tell-tale warning light and can't be operated with the headlights off it'll be fine.

Edit:  The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 do not specify the required wattage or the colour of the tell-tale - they also don't mention whether the headlights have to be operational when the fog light is on.  Also the regulations are far less restrictive for older vehicles that have them fitted as an optional extra.

SCHEDULE 11 

PART I

Requirements relating to obligatory rear fog lamps and to optional rear fog lamps to the extent specified in part ii

1.  Number:
    One

2.  Position–

(a) Longitudinal:
    At or near the rear of the vehicle

(b) Lateral–

(i)Where one rear fog lamp is fitted:
    On the centre-line or off side of the vehicle (disregarding any sidecar forming part of a motor bicycle combination)

(ii)Where two lamps are fitted:
    No requirement

© Vertical–

(i)Maximum height above the ground–

(A)Any vehicle not covered by sub-paragraph (B):
    1000 mm

(B)An agricultural vehicle, engineering plant and a motor tractor:
    2100 mm

(ii)Minimum height above the ground:
    250 mm

(d) Minimum separation distance between a rear fog lamp and a stop lamp–

(i)In the case of a rear fog lamp which does not share a common lamp body with a stop lamp:
    A distance of 100 mm between the light-emitting surfaces of the lamps when viewed in a direction parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle

(ii)In the case of a rear fog lamp which shares a common lamp body with a stop lamp:
    100 mm

3.  Angles of visibility–

(a) Horizontal:
    25° inwards and outwards. However, where two rear fog lamps are fitted it shall suffice if throughout the sector so defined at least one lamp (but not necessarily the same lamp) is visible

(b) Vertical:
    5° above and below the horizontal

4.  Alignment:
    To the rear

5.  Markings:
    An approval mark

6.  Size of illuminated area:
    No requirement

7.  Colour:
    Red

8.  Wattage:
    No requirement

9.  Intensity:
    No requirement

10.  Electrical connections:
    No rear fog lamp shall be fitted to any vehicle so that it can be illuminated by the application of any braking system on the vehicle

11.  Tell-tale:
    A circuit-closed tell-tale shall be fitted

12.  Other requirements–

Where two rear fog lamps are fitted to a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or to a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 they shall form a matched pair.

13.  Definitions–

In this Schedule “approval mark” means either–
    (a)

a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 20 of Schedule 4 to those Regulations; or
    (b)

a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 4 of the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 38 of Schedule 2 to those Regulations.

PART II

Requirements relating to optional rear fog lamps

1.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured before 1st October 1979, any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 2(d), 7 and 10 of Part I.

2.  In the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1980 and any other vehicle manufactured on or after 1st October 1979, not more than two may be fitted and the requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are all those specified in this Schedule.

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 01 August 2018 - 10:31 AM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 July 2018 - 07:44 PM

The valence mounting is a real rust generator. I have mounted them on the boot lid using an aluminium bracket. I put a sealant between the bracket and the boot lid surface and I use Waxoyl on the inside face over the bolts/nuts. Then just a small hole with a grommet for the wires and jobsagoodun.

#6 AndrewT

AndrewT

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

The valence mounting is a real rust generator.

This is what I was worried about.

Sounds like hanging it off the bumper mount won't be a problem and is the easiest solution.

Thanks for all the replies.

#7 minitman

minitman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:55 PM

Hi there,

I hope this gets picked up. I am needing to fit a fog light and I am choosy, No bumpers, don't want to undersling them as I0 don't want to ruin the line of my smoothed out rear, so I find myself in a quandry.

Here's your test good people in the Mini world: How would I stand legally, and MOT wise, if I fit a 4" spot light, "reversing light style." mounted on the boot lid, with a red LED lamp in it? (like new cars with white lenses)

It's just a thought to try to protect a classic rally look, as well as avoiding having to cut into my bodywork, as I forgot the fog light when I "frenched" in my rear lights. Ooops!

As always your comments are appreciated in advance.

Minitman.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:05 PM

Did you French in a reverse light?

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:06 PM

Hi there,

I hope this gets picked up. I am needing to fit a fog light and I am choosy, No bumpers, don't want to undersling them as I0 don't want to ruin the line of my smoothed out rear, so I find myself in a quandry.

Here's your test good people in the Mini world: How would I stand legally, and MOT wise, if I fit a 4" spot light, "reversing light style." mounted on the boot lid, with a red LED lamp in it? (like new cars with white lenses)

It's just a thought to try to protect a classic rally look, as well as avoiding having to cut into my bodywork, as I forgot the fog light when I "frenched" in my rear lights. Ooops!

As always your comments are appreciated in advance.

Minitman.

I mounted mine on the parcel shelf, aslong as its as per the regs which i think is within 1m of the road, either on centre line or driver side dont think it has to be a red lense just have a red light. 

#10 minitman

minitman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for that chaps.

I suppose the question that I want answering is, can i use a clear lens light fitting, with a red LED lamp?

Any MOT guy's out there ?

#11 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

this is what I made its a copy of the Radford lights

minirest5002-1.jpg

#12 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for that chaps.
I suppose the question that I want answering is, can i use a clear lens light fitting, with a red LED lamp?
Any MOT guy's out there ?

Yes you can, plenty of cars with factory fitted fog lights with clear lenses out there

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for that chaps.

I doubt the colour of the lens matters as long as the fog light shows the correct colour when illuminated; however fog light lenses create a certain light diffusion pattern which may be difficult to recreate with a clear lens unless that less is specifically for a rear fog light

#14 minitman

minitman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Thank you all for the replies. From the feedback I am going to go along the clear lens, fitting on the boot (reversing light style) and use a red LED.

Should the MOT man not like it, I shall change it for a commercial fog light and look to redesign in the future.

thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users