25 replies to this topic

#1 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:56 PM

So the project begins, I got my mini and a spare shell for £500 about two years ago. Since then the rotten shell and the complete mini have lived in my shipping container. I've come to the realisation that both of the shells are beyond repair. So I stripped the mini down and went to the uk and picked up a second hand fiberglass shell. Now I have it home and in the container I'd like to keep a log of progress and share it.

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:58 PM

Looking forward to it, I doubt I need to tell you but fiberglass is nasty stuff so always make sure you're in a ventilated room with goggles and a mask if you're doing work on the shell! 

#3 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:07 PM

This is the mini shell I collected, as you can see from the photos a passed owner has cut a hole in the boot for a bike engine and the ends of the tower bolt hole things off for some unknown reason. Luckily the parts were carefully cut out and kept so hopefully they should fiberglass back on.

Attached Files

#4 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:09 PM

Looking forward to it, I doubt I need to tell you but fiberglass is nasty stuff so always make sure you're in a ventilated room with goggles and a mask if you're doing work on the shell!

Thanks I'll have both doors of the container open and will pick up some masks and goggles

#5 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:20 PM

So the new rear subframe turned up in the post with a few other bits: AF sockets 1/4" and 3/8 drive, paint bushes, fiberglass cloth,under seal, hardener and resin.

Attached File  IMG_7582.JPG   63.66K   3 downloads

I also picked some fibreglass mat 300 and 450 weight from a local store and a metal roller (don't have pictures)

So I headed out tonight and tried my hand a fiberglassing the first pease that had been cut out back in.

Attached File  IMG_7594.JPG   57.47K   3 downloads

Edited by Mini_Mad_Manx_Man, 17 July 2018 - 09:37 PM.

#6 ckneller321

ckneller321

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

Do you know who made the shell?

And is that a standard mini size? As in not a sprint?

#7 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:50 PM

Do you know who made the shell?

And is that a standard mini size? As in not a sprint?

Hi I was told it was an FRA shell when I bought it, but to be honest I wouldn't know enough but each shell to tell them apart. I do however know it's a full size mini shell and not a Sprint.

#8 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

i hope you have put some spacers between the upper and lower tower surfaces before glassing the front parts on.

#9 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:40 PM

i hope you have put some spacers between the upper and lower tower surfaces before glassing the front parts on.

I have'd started at the front yet. Starting at the back, what do you mean tho so I can take note for when I do start the front?

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

ok no pics at the moment. but on the steel cars there is a load spreader between those surfaces to stop/reduce the compression caused by the bolts. even though the bolts are shouldered the two surfaces are still supported. some think wall tube or machined down alloy bar would do.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

ok found pics.

these should help

Attached File  crossend.jpg   81.34K   0 downloads

Attached File  cross-member-end.jpg   23.59K   0 downloads

#12 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

ok no pics at the moment. but on the steel cars there is a load spreader between those surfaces to stop/reduce the compression caused by the bolts. even though the bolts are shouldered the two surfaces are still supported. some think wall tube or machined down alloy bar would do.

Ok I see what you mean. I did have an idea for this, I was gonna get box section that fits snug in the area on it's side and then drill the holes for the tower bolts to go throw it. Didn't even think of tube upright, would mean I wouldn't have to drill holes.

Even with the end peaces back on you can still gain plenty of access from inside the car on this shell where the bulk head would be in the way on steel shells.

#13 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

So today my rear subframe mounting and bush kit turned up from minispares.com but I'm a while off getting that fitted yet.

Attached File  IMG_7604.JPG   48.69K   5 downloads

And I also went out to started getting the next and biggest piece that had been cut out back in place, will finish off and put final piece back in tomorrow night.

Attached File  IMG_7600.JPG   66K   4 downloads

#14 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Last night I went out and fiberglassed the top of the final piece into place. Going to get the mini tipped onto it's side in the next week and do the full underside in one hit, just need to wait for more resin to show up.

Attached File  Image-1 (1).jpg   72.09K   0 downloads

Also got the radios arms stripped and ready to be cleaned up and painted. 

Attached File  Image-1.jpg   106.63K   0 downloads

#15 Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Mini_Mad_Manx_Man

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:15 PM

Not a lot done tonight with not being able to get to the container this week. But I have convinced the girl friend to let me bring some bits home to work on at the table/ in the garden. So tonight I cut the subframe mounts off the old subframe and painstakingly removed old bushes. Then gave them a clean up with a wire wheel on a grinder and a lick of paint.

Attached File  IMG_7611.JPG   47.54K   2 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users