#1 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hi All,

So I’ve owned my little Mayfair for around a month now and have fixed a fair few rattles since having him but this new ones a bit stranger.

So at the weekend we took it out for a nice long drive about 100 miles and it developed a metallic rattling. I initially thought it was the disk shield as it’s broke but after getting home it’s not that as I got underneath as it was running and it’s not moving at all. When driving it seemed to start when I stopped (idling at traffic lights)

The chrome bumper at the front was vibrating really bad and the bolt had come loose so I’ve taken that off and it’s still doing it. The bonnet is vibrating a lot and stops when I press on it. The noise is noticeable inside the car and I can feel a vibration on the dash.

In the engine bay it all feels a bit hot. I ran it today from cold for about 2 mins before it got very hot. The rocker cover and the top of the radiator and hose were partially hot to touch. Never noticed them this warm before. Temp is normal on the dials?

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I didn’t consider engine until tonight but now think it could well be that?

Things I’m going to check first
-engine mounts/stablisers
-manifold

I know it could be an endless list but need to start somewhere ?

#2 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:57 PM

Video https://youtu.be/QnQw1V-Vq2w

#3 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

Sounds tappety to me, and possible exhaust / manifold blow

How long since it had a service etc?

Have you checked the coolant level ?

#4 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:09 PM

It’s just had the back box welded back on so exhaust is an option?

Serviced before I bought it in March. I’d planned to do it the end of this month. Checked coolant the other day seemed fine. Didn’t smell great though so it’s probably worth flushing that too.

I think all the bits rattling are caused by the main issue which I haven’t found yet. Strange how when I’m driving it’s not rattling but at low speed it increases until idle where it’s at loudest.

This could be the exhaust drowning the sound out however

#5 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:08 AM

Try setting the tappets and have a look at the exhaust manifold clamp

Any sign of any black around it ? It needs loosening off, possibly re-aligning and re-tightening with a wipe of exhaust sealer. Then run it for 5 minutes and re-tighten again.

sounds like you are not sure how many miles or when it was serviced last

It really needs a full service too. Its probably a guess what oil was used previously too

Like you say noises are drowned out when you are driving

#6 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

yeah been doing some reading up on tappets. Will make sure they are set correctly. well I thought the car had been well looked after with the paper history to back it but it now I'm starting to find all sorts of strange things. Lots of corners cut along the years so your right could be anyone's guess.

I'll upload some pictures later of the engine stabilisers as I think they've seen better days and there is play in that. Water Pump also has a bit of movement so that needs sorting.

my to do list is long at the moment >_<

Was bought as a project to be stripped and rebuilt In the future so its really a case of making decision of when to park it and strip it. Would love to see another year first but won't be upset if I have to crack on this year as I'm quite looking forward to it ;D

#7 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

Took a few pictures, the first one was loose but tightening it hasn’t stopped the vibration. The rocker cover doesn’t feel like it’s vibtating to touch and it feels more like it’s from the fan/water pump area. I also think it does need coolant but not sure why this makes it vibrate?

Attached File  BDD524EA-CA2C-430D-ADAC-CC6B64BE4D2E.jpeg   34.2K   0 downloads
Attached File  F80C7E20-4159-4883-B61A-3430CC2643A3.jpeg   28.85K   0 downloads

When the bonnets shut it vibrates heavily on the chrome trim on the water pump side.

I need to also fix this mess

Attached File  D1C035AF-A80C-424E-A711-7A84CDB7ADF7.jpeg   45.02K   0 downloads

Attached File  6F8D217A-FC85-4E2F-8900-23A847C575E6.jpeg   47.99K   0 downloads

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

Attached File  scream.jpg   18.01K   0 downloads

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:37 AM

That needs coolant, and some TLC too

#10 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:11 AM

I don't like the look of the stabilizer bushes, its at quite an angle and should be a bolt.

Be careful not to over tighten it the threads are prone to stripping and tearing out of the block (might be already)

#11 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:08 PM

That needs coolant, and some TLC too

Yeah coolants dropped a fair bit in a week, TLC is an understatement. He needs a lot of work

#12 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

I don't like the look of the stabilizer bushes, its at quite an angle and should be a bolt.

Be careful not to over tighten it the threads are prone to stripping and tearing out of the block (might be already)

Yeah plan on fitting all new there, there’s not a plate attached to the block under the bracket should there be?

Plan over the next few weekends is

Oil change, coolant flush, new hoses, new stabilisers all round and continue digging.

#13 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

Early cars had the plate and yours has one....looks a bit home brewed.

Try a compression check with it using water it could be a head gasket problem.

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

So you are losing water, heavy rattling noise?? Now having had a head gasket fail on another whilst driving, severe rattling noise and a loss in power. In this case i had one piston trying to compress the next bore. 

Have you had a loss in power at all?? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate??

Any sign of the coolant leak externally?? are our carpets wet in the front passenger foot well?? if not then it sounds like you have a HG issue.

#15 Dandyer1995

Dandyer1995

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

So you are losing water, heavy rattling noise?? Now having had a head gasket fail on another whilst driving, severe rattling noise and a loss in power. In this case i had one piston trying to compress the next bore. 

Have you had a loss in power at all?? Does the noise get louder as you accelerate??

Any sign of the coolant leak externally?? are our carpets wet in the front passenger foot well?? if not then it sounds like you have a HG issue.

Not sure if I’ve lost that much, I can remember checking but I can’t remember how much was in there. It’s more of a vibration that a rattle in all fairness, like the whole front end of the car is vibrating. No loss of power or leaks. Ran up to temperature on the drive and couldn’t see any leaks.

Noise seems to be when off the accelerator, and when idling. Doesn’t increase on revs more of a constant rattle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users