• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:22 PM

When my Grandson was younger he and I restored a 1986 998 Mayfair. It was a very comprehensive re-build and it was even featured with us on BBC1 TV in a programme called 'Car Booty'.

He sold it in about 2010 and it has re-appeared in a rather sorry state having been kept outside and neglected.

However, the car has done very few miles since full resto and the engine/gearbox/suspension/brakes, etc, should still be in fine condition.

I built the engine with a +0.080" overbore giving 1060 cc. It has a CR of 10.2:1 and a gas-flowed 295 head. The carb is an HS4 on a Howley alloy inlet and the exhaust is a 3-into-1 Cooper manifold with an RC 40 rear box. It has a 510 cam and gave 66 bhp at 6000 rpm when we finished it.

I only know that the body, which I painted in cellulose Tartan Red with OE White roof needs some attention. I can't think that too much would be needed, but maybe a pair of front wings and a pair of doorsteps. When we finished it the shell was in perfect condition and was Waxoyled thoroughly. The red needs re-painting, but only the outside.

The suspension was accurately set up and it had Spax dampers all round.The brakes were re-built with stainless pistons, new slave cylinders and new hoses.

My Grandson was sort-of interested in buying it back, but he is going to live in Vancouver and the shipping costs would be high, not to mention the possible import duties into Canada. His time is limited in the UK until he goes and I am busy with my 'S' and my 850 so I can't do it.

Apparently the current owner is going to break it for spares, but that seems sad. He would sell if for £1000 I believe and, quite honestly, that would be a bargain. The interior is excellent too.

If anyone is interested in saving this car and doing the small amount of re-work, please PM me and I'll give you my Grandson's details and he can make the contact for you. 

This would be a super starter project and a great classic car to own.

#2 1275poorlyproject

1275poorlyproject

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Local Club: That would be nice

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:40 PM

Damn! A grand for a hand built by cooperman mini,if that doesn't get someones juices flowing then nothing will lol

#3 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:19 PM

Sounds good to me
I have sent these details to someone that was looking for a project if they get back to me I will pm you for the contact details .

#4 miniQ

miniQ

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

I want it 

Edited by miniQ, 19 July 2018 - 06:25 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:31 PM

I can only pass on the details. I do suspect that if a lot of people show interest, the price might increase a bit, but he told my Grandson that he would not take less than a grand for it as it is.

PM me with your personal email address for a photo of the car as it was when we finished it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users