#1 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Hi All

Ive always wanted to build my own engine - but first, id like to have a crack at a carb.

I currently run a 1275 A+  with swiftune sw5-07 duplex cam and stage 2 head.

On this I run a HIF44 carb, which apart from needing a rolling road set up as its been a while, runs great (as far as I know....its a thirsty little **** because its not set right...but that's for me to sort)

Id like to buy and recon a second hand carb with a view to upgrading from HIF44 to something a bit nicer, when I say nicer I mean just with a bit more whoosh, im not implying theres anything wrong with HIF44 just....you know what I mean.

In short, im after a nice Little kitchen table tinkering side job to keep me occupied away from messing with other things and getting new hobbies.

Anyway - can any carb experts suggest a nice type to look for on ebay or wherever that I could get cracking with, strip it down, and rebuild it etc - and also a resource ideal for guiding me through it.

Thanks guys

#2 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

You won't get much better than an HIF44 for your spec. There are things you can do to an SU carb to improve the total air-flow, but then you need an engine which will demand more flow for max power. To use an improved carb fully requires a much modified engine in terms of head, cam and exhaust. The problem is that the best improvement for most classic Minis is to get better torque rather than top end power at mega-revs.

I would suggest that flowing the inlet manifold and accurately matching it to the carb and air filter would be a good thing to do.

#3 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:42 PM

cooperman ill take that advice. thankyou

#4 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:04 PM

What inlet manifold are you using ?

Phil.

#5 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

You won't get much better than an HIF44 for your spec. There are things you can do to an SU carb to improve the total air-flow, but then you need an engine which will demand more flow for max power. To use an improved carb fully requires a much modified engine in terms of head, cam and exhaust. The problem is that the best improvement for most classic Minis is to get better torque rather than top end power at mega-revs.

I would suggest that flowing the inlet manifold and accurately matching it to the carb and air filter would be a good thing to do.

"flowing the inlet manifold" - im guessing to be found in Vizards book of magic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users