#1 Halfpint

Halfpint

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:14 AM

G'day,

My good old enertia started motor is starting to give some grief. Found the backing plate was a little loose, only moved a mm or so, but was enough for the solanoid to just click and nothing at the starter. When I pulled the cover off, the brushes are quite worn and the stator has a fair bit of play in the end bush. The teeth on the starter are 3 or 4mm shorter and looking a little worse for wear. 

I bought this new 20 odd yrs ago and it's driven 2 engine builds, so am really happy how its performed for me till now.

Re assembled and tightened it all up and works great again, but for how long? 

Its a 1981 A+ box coupled to a 1275 motor, LCB extractors, HIF44, lightened fly wheel etc. Not a race car, but is an everyday driver ( well most days anyway  ;D ).

Just after some advice and experiences people have had with some of the newer pre engaged starters.

Like high torque, pro's/ cons? Needed?.

Have you had any problems fitting them?.

Are there any distinct advantages compared the original inertia type?

Different Brands or types?

I'm tending to want to go with one, but would like to know how others have found them before I order one.

Thanks  :shades:

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

First thing is what ring gear do you have as there's different ones for inertia and pre-engaged?

As for the hi-torque gear.reduction starters I don't think you'll gain anything as a standard one seems up to the job in your case.

Cheers  :proud:

Edited by Bat, 22 July 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 22 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

Bludger,

I wouldn't be fitting a high torque if you don't needed and if the old smash & grab did the job for so long, I think it fair to say that you don't.

A Pre-engauged type IMO, is the go, though there is one that is a dismal failure, I just can't recall which one that is.

Would you not go for a Gemini one again, like on Guilver?

Hi,

First thing is what ring gear do you have as there's different ones for inertia and pre-engaged?

As for the hi-torque gear.reduction starters I don't think you'll gain anything as a standard one seems up to the job in your case.

Hey Bat, his is an Interia Ring Gear

#4 Halfpint

Halfpint

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

Bludger,

I wouldn't be fitting a high torque if you don't needed and if the old smash & grab did the job for so long, I think it fair to say that you don't.

A Pre-engauged type IMO, is the go, though there is one that is a dismal failure, I just can't recall which one that is.

Would you not go for a Gemini one again, like on Guilver?

Hi,

Hey Bat, his is an Interia Ring Gear

Thanks Gents.

I was just wondering what else is out there that could be better than the "smash n grab".

Snoozer, the Gemini starter is great, but lets face it, their also 1980 models  :mmkay: , surely 38 more yrs on, experience and learning's have helped to improve something :shy: .

I remember your Dumb mate ;D had some Bosch starters I think. They looked great way back then and seemed like a step forward. I had a good starter motor at that point in time though!

And Bat, buggered If I know what ring gear it is, its round and came with the flywheel  :lol: , bout all I know of it. In fact I didnt even know there were different ones.

Cheers

Halfpint

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 23 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

Snoozer, the Gemini starter is great, but lets face it, their also 1980 models  :mmkay: , surely 38 more yrs on, experience and learning's have helped to improve something :shy: .

I remember your Dumb mate ;D had some Bosch starters I think. They looked great way back then and seemed like a step forward. I had a good starter motor at that point in time though!

Cheers

Halfpint

Bludger,

The more modern starters are still quite similar to that in the Gemini, mate. They are available new, I think the last one I got was around 200 bucks.

Very sadly, Dave lost all his stock in the fires that went through early 2016 and he lost interest, though, he only had about 30 starters made.

None the less, I'm always keen to learn if there is something else out there.

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 08:04 AM

Hi,

If you take a look on Mini Spares one has 22 teeth more than the other.

I'm reasonably sure the starters have a different number of teeth too.

I think the inertia gear has a chamfer on the end of the teeth and the pre-engaged don't.

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Sounds like some evolutionary divergence with our antipodean cousins. The home species was inertia, then pre-engaged from a couple of years in to the A+ era.

Inertia  pinions start on the opposite side to the motor and  are pulled in to the ring gear. Pre-engaged are pushed from the motor side, so the bevels on the ring teeth are on opposite sides.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users