Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:42 AM

OK so they are a forged non roller type

I am wondering how they are held between each one...? they usually have springs to push them to the sides.

My thinking was that if they can  'float'  perhaps a bit much then sometimes when running they might be pushed sideways and cause an intermittent tap

#17 RooBoonix

RooBoonix

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

OK so they are a forged non roller type

I am wondering how they are held between each one...? they usually have springs to push them to the sides.

My thinking was that if they can 'float' perhaps a bit much then sometimes when running they might be pushed sideways and cause an intermittent tap

You may be onto something here, the old engines we have at work had a modification to change from solid spacers to springs as the spacers were too noisy. Worth a look

#18 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 03:51 PM

Thanks that is a very good point. They are springs which I took off the old 1.3 set.

#19 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 04:28 PM

I tend to add the 0.040” shims they sell to add tension to the springs

#20 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for that. We set all clearances back to 15 thou and luckily (or unlucky) when started it up the noise came straight away. We managed to pinpoint the noise to 1&2. So as a try we set just No1 to 13thou and started it and the noise went...just usual tappet noise...We can move the No1 rocker side to side because there is a slight gap between the end washers and rocker post. Not a lot but there is movement. This possibly could be a factor?

#21 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

That's what I suspected, might be wrong but ;

The standard setup is ;

A thin spring washer pushing the rocker towards the pillar, with a flat washer between the spring washer and split pin.

Without the spring washer the rocker will  'float' - not much but enough to be pushed to one side or the other and tap

The alternative to a spring washer is a flat washer leaving a float of a few thou

The spring washer can be seen on the photo

mtTS689.jpg

#22 MIJ

MIJ

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 03:49 PM

Thanks all for help, we tried the rocker springs with no luck and the pushrods so we have come to the conclusion the only plausible explanation now is a cam follower. We think we can pin point the noise to either 1 or 2.
Engine out now!

#23 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:40 PM

Thanks all for help, we tried the rocker springs with no luck and the pushrods so we have come to the conclusion the only plausible explanation now is a cam follower. We think we can pin point the noise to either 1 or 2.
Engine out now!

bugger - was hoping for something simple

I had some new followers that were crap - looked like someone painted them matt black - they were undersized with the coating off

#24 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 08:16 PM

It really should not be at such low miles but if they were not good followers then maybe

Quite a lot of MG Metro's ended up tapping with low miles as Rover specified the wrong oil

Make sure its not the timing chain...can be stripped engine in...might be a broken tensioner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users