#1 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:13 PM

I'm considering fitting seat belts to my '64 Traveller which obviously doesn't require them by law but thinking of safety sake to add them. The front is no problem. B-post is already drilled and tapped from the factory so just need to drill floor and add strengthening / captive nuts for the clips.

It's the rear I'd also like to fit seatbelts to. I can get a set of Rover Mini rear seatbelts and have an idea in my head how and where to fit them. Just wondering has anyone else fitted rear seatbelts to an Estates, and if so what what did you fit them?

Interested to see what ideas others have come up with.

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

I purchased an estate years ago and it had lap belts in the rear.

The outer mounts were in the corner on the companion bin down by the subframe mount.

The centre mounts where in the front face of the spare wheel well.

They all had square spreader plates under the nuts.

There's nothing high up with any strength in it at the rear of an estate so I think lap belts are the only option, or fit a rear cage to mount them to.

Cheers  :proud:

#3 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hi,

I purchased an estate years ago and it had lap belts in the rear.

The outer mounts were in the corner on the companion bin down by the subframe mount.

The centre mounts where in the front face of the spare wheel well.

They all had square spreader plates under the nuts.

There's nothing high up with any strength in it at the rear of an estate so I think lap belts are the only option, or fit a rear cage to mount them to.

Much along my thoughts but I had considered fitting the 3 point belts with the over shoulder portion mounted to the seat back upright but will need some strengthening added. A mate of mine as done some bespoke welding work for me so he could russell up something I'm sure. I'll not be considering a rollcage - not planning on going rallying with it lol

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

TBBH dont do it. there is not any tested mounts.  back of the seat is a very very bad idea.  here is something half decent but i dont know what reinforcement was done to the fixing by the glass.

http://www.theminifo...te#entry1727456

#5 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:27 PM

This is sort of along the idea what I had in mind - making a strengthening piece that goes to something structural on the car. Would do something more elegant that that though. 

http://www.theminifo...d0fe8a78920.jpg

#6 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:32 PM

the problem is there is nothing really structural back there so you will need to add quite some metal.

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 11:47 AM

Hi,

That post mount would be no good in a crash, the mount at the top has loads of leverage on the base. 

There's no strength in the corner piece at the top or the window channel it's attached to.

I'd say you'd need at least 2 tubes well spaced out and preferably bolted through the arch to spreader plates underneath, much like a small rear only roll cage.

You might also need a bar between the 2 sides to stop them pulling into the centre of the car  but that could be removable for when the seat is down.

Think about the forces involved, weight of person X speed.

When the car comes to a dramatic halt, as it would in a crash, the person carries on at pre-accident speed...

#8 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

I'm considering fitting seat belts to my '64 Traveller which obviously doesn't require them by law but thinking of safety sake to add them. The front is no problem. B-post is already drilled and tapped from the factory so just need to drill floor and add strengthening / captive nuts for the clips.

Your car should already also have the necessary mountings on the centre tunnel and inner sills.

Do you want the rear belts for adults or children?

#9 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

I always have an interest in estate rear seat belts as i own one but I feel they are no better or potentially worse than a lap belt due to the lack of head restraints.

It was explained to me in rather emotional detail by a paramedic there is nothing to stop the occupants heads from snapping off in a heavy rear shunt.

I still think any mini is safer than my normal mode of transport ( motorcycle)  but he made me think twice before letting the kids in the back of the estate.

I did consider a custom cargo net that would give some support but the car is off the road at the moment, can`t drive them all at once :)  

#10 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:09 PM

Your car should already also have the necessary mountings on the centre tunnel and inner sills.

Do you want the rear belts for adults or children?

Well to be honest no one will ever be in the back - more for just a mod to do. I'll most likely fit the fronts which already have the mounting points in situ from the factory, and I may design up a low level rear cage that doesn't come any higher than the window cill but will give me a mounting point for over shoulder belts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users