16 replies to this topic

#1 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 04:14 PM

Hey guys. Just wanted to check what "rules" apply when changing the badges off a classic mini.
I got a 1990 Rover Mayfair...and am absolutely inlove with the Austin cooper S / Austin mini rear badges....and im contemplating adding them onto my rover. (Minus the S of course...)

Any rules to follow before I upset everyone or is it a do as you please thing?

P.s id never put cooper S badges on a stock rover. That's a no-go from me

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

Your car, you can do what you like with it. 

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

It's your car and you can do as you wish.
A classic car will always have greater value if original or only with period modifications.

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Don’t worry about the originality police - do what you want to your car and above all, enjoy it.
Little changes like that can easily be reversed:

#5 MrBounce

MrBounce

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

I just like a single bonnet badge from the era the car was made and nothing else. Keeps everyone guessing and looks really tidy. Also doesn't claim to be something it's not. 

But that's just my opinion. Do whatever you're happy with  :teehee:

#6 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:41 PM

Its your car, do what you like and what you think looks good. I love the Austin script badges and have got them on my 1989 Mayfair.

Qwjvote.jpg

#7 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

I have a fake knockoff Speedwell one on mine simply because I like the badge. Don't worry about what others think, let you imagination run wild! 

#8 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:49 AM

Its your car, do what you like and what you think looks good. I love the Austin script badges and have got them on my 1989 Mayfair.

Qwjvote.jpg

That is exactly what I am after :D:D
Whats on the front?

Did you need to drill holes into the boot? Was thinking of giving 3M a call and asking for some bomb-tight-carry-a-truck-weight double sided sticky tape to smack those on :))

#9 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:06 AM

Your car, you can do what you like with it. 

Amen. Had a couple of blokes on monday night at a classic meet tell me it was sacrilege that my Cooper wasnt still Red & White... laughed in their face.

#10 minitravellerman

minitravellerman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Local Club: Minis In Northern Ireland

Posted 26 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

Minis can be as individual as you want it to be. Like others have said ... your car, you can do what you like with it. To pot with the haters and the originality-freaks.

I've been running my Mk1 look-a-like rally Mini (which is a 1987 Austin Rover Mini City E) with Austin Seven "S" badging just to confuse the life out of the punters lol, and I have full Morris Cooper S badging on my Traveller now that I have a 1293 Cooper S motor under the bonnet. Yea people are going to have comments but I enjoy hearing them - always gives me a laugh.

Just standing within ear shot of people talking about my car at a show can be so much fun - especially when they think they know what they are talking about and really don't. My favourite has to be when I was at a local show with the rally Mini and it was shined up like a new penny it did draw a bit of a crowd (it is beige with a British Racing Green roof - so not the most common colour combo I suppose) and I have the full look-a-like going on with lights, bootlid, grille, full switchgear and so on - basically everything barring the body is sort of Mk1. Anyway, these two chaps were looking around the car and chatting about it.

First chap - "That must be a rare enough car that - an Austin Seven S?? - never heard of it before"

Second chap - "oh yes - that was the sport version of the more basic car. You know the Cooper S? Well that was the really quick one. This is the nippy wee 850 Sports. Very rare!!"

Third chap who was listening in - "I remember my dad had one of these back in the 60s. Same colour and all. This must be the same one as it is really really rare. The registration is the same and everything!!"

Well I got such a laugh about all of that. 

1. it's a Mk3 in original Sandlewood Beige body work - I added the BRG roof

2. the badging is what I had on a shelf in the garage - added for a laugh

3. the registation number (**** IJ) is a cherished one that I transferred off a 1959 Austin A30 about 20 years ago and have had on all my Minis over the years, so certainly not the same number as the 3rd chaps dad

Sorry - got a bit off topic there. Moral of story - do what you like and have a laugh. Incidentially Rover did offer the original type badging as a dealer fit accessory in the late '90s. I've attached an extract from the 1997 brochure. 

#11 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

I got the guy who sprayed it to put them on, they are just stuck on with some double sided stuff.

vTHdvG7.jpg

I recently put this on the front, I cut the pegs off and stuck it on with some silicon, I didn't fancy drilling anything.

#12 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

The Ultimate NO is real Mini badges on a BINI or a union jack roof ....you bought the wrong car

#13 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

I asked a similar question a while back.  Went for mk2 S oval badge on front (always my fav) and rectangular mk3 S rear badge - on a 1990 cooper.  

Like you I wanted the mk1 Austin script badge on the boot, but personally think its hard to make mk1 cooper badges look right without mk1 bonnet and boot.  

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,942 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 26 July 2018 - 01:07 PM

as has been said it is your car do what you want BUT don't do it to try and pass it off as something it aint. A MK5 with Mk1 badges does not a Mk1 make.

#15 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

Just to ask before I end up drilling holes - which I really dont want to: How can I glue/stick the badges onto the car without drilling holes? I ordered the plastic clips just incase I HAVE TO rill, but id rather have them stuck on. Any well known choices to tack them on? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users