Photo

Installing Windscreen And Seal

Best Answer imack , 27 July 2018 - 06:14 PM

I re fitted front and rear screens to my mini a few weeks ago. I used the same method as Boycie, car shampoo water mix in a spray bottle and plastic trim tools. I found keeping my fragile 46 year old headling tucked up under the new screen rubbers tricky. Not enough headling in some areas to pull around the apperture and glue in position so it kept trying to ruck up behind the rubber and the new soft rubbers had a tendency to fall down, I could have done with another pair of hands at times.
Fitting the filler strip I found difficult with the budget 'wire' minispares fitting tool, I had to reshape the tool to make it work and it kept bending out of shape and needed resetting, thought it was going to snap. Bought the more expensive minispares filler strip fitting tool, and once I worked out how to use it after a lot of swearing and cursing at it and which adapter to use I had the filler strip fitted in under 2 minutes Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:27 PM

Please can I have some advice. I have removed my windscreen and seal to do some work on the scuttle. When I refit the rubber seal should i use any sealant or grease on the aperture edge before fitting the rubber, or should I install the rubber dry.

Also, when fitting the windscreen what is the best lubricant to aid insertion of the windscreen in the rubber seal.

Many thanks in advance
Dave

#2 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

cheers

#3 Boycie

Boycie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

I fitted a front 'screen to my City yesterday. I mixed some car shampoo with water in a spray bottle. I used this to fit the glass into the seal but also fit the fillet strip (arguably the hardest part of the whole job).
It's so hot at the moment, the shampoo evaporated in around a minute flat, but was essential! Also, car shampoo contains no salt, so you can go mad with it without worry.

#4 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:14 PM   Best Answer

I re fitted front and rear screens to my mini a few weeks ago. I used the same method as Boycie, car shampoo water mix in a spray bottle and plastic trim tools. I found keeping my fragile 46 year old headling tucked up under the new screen rubbers tricky. Not enough headling in some areas to pull around the apperture and glue in position so it kept trying to ruck up behind the rubber and the new soft rubbers had a tendency to fall down, I could have done with another pair of hands at times.
Fitting the filler strip I found difficult with the budget 'wire' minispares fitting tool, I had to reshape the tool to make it work and it kept bending out of shape and needed resetting, thought it was going to snap. Bought the more expensive minispares filler strip fitting tool, and once I worked out how to use it after a lot of swearing and cursing at it and which adapter to use I had the filler strip fitted in under 2 minutes

Attached Files

#5 Milton

Milton

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Local Club: what no brakes

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:30 PM

Thankyou very much for the advice and tips, much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users