355 replies to this topic

#211 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

Will the new staff make your life easier?

#212 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:44 PM

Will the new staff make your life easier?

Sadly not.

The new staff comprise of a receptionist, a mechanic and an apprentice mechanic.

The mechanic is very experienced with classics and keen to work on them too so he will be available to help out with that side of things.

The man from the college that comes to assess the apprentice has mentioned that he has a student in an accident repair centre on the island who is unhappy there so may be interested in coming to work with me but we will see.

If he does and is good, then that will certainly help a lot but sadly, my previous experience with trainees has not been good.

The last one didn't even last a week as he was more interested in skiving off, sitting around, playing with his phone and very little else.

I can't put up with that!

Cheers

Ben

#213 Wild

Wild

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

I know the feeling Ben - Feel like my apprentice has absolutely 0 interest in cars and is only there to have a job. What a world we seem to live in :( Wish we could get a lot more harder working people like yourself!!!

#214 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:52 PM

On with the primer prep.

I started with the front end sanding the primer on the external panels 

dlJx7cH.jpg

a7FO4e0.jpg

And then the engine compartment

1eDe0tP.jpg

Pdj3U2E.jpg

And then I started the mammoth task of sealing up all of the seams and joins. I find it best to do this stage in sections so that you can be through and not miss anything..

zpk3ZDT.jpg

00x6hlr.jpg

E3pT4wH.jpg

2VECERf.jpg

c8q4Sw5.jpg

KwCpGEs.jpg

0kf5UK1.jpg

Next, I shall flat the cab roof, get the gutter sealed up and then get the inside of the cab prepped and sealed.

Once the exterior and interior of the shell is ready, I shall then put it back on the spit so flat, seal and refinish the underside in one go.

Cheers

Ben

#215 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

thanks Ben !

I know that a few photos doesn't really reflect the the amount of time and effort that goes in at this stage, but it is appreciated !

#216 midridge2

midridge2

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 04:52 PM

Hi Ben, are you not blending the top of the apex panel to A post, with external door hinge cars you dont see the join at the top of the Apex panel.

#217 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

Hi Ben, are you not blending the top of the apex panel to A post, with external door hinge cars you dont see the join at the top of the Apex panel.

I hadn't thought about that.

Any external hinge cars I have done in the past have either not been blended or were but with filler making me think that it shouldn't be.

Ill let Pat decide and go from there.

cheers

Ben

#218 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:52 PM

Small question: is it not best to keep the join between wing and scuttle open? As a few have asked saying it would let the moisture out, others say close... and as I'll be doing the same as you in 1.5 years I'm curious as your answer.
Ps: I mighthave a business proposal for mg's... In CH (Swiss)

Ben

Edited by MacGyver, 30 April 2019 - 05:53 PM.

#219 midridge2

midridge2

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:51 PM

The top is blended in to stop water from getting down between the outer Apex and inner hinge support panel, i always body solder them after filling the gap with braze.

#220 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

Any external hinge cars I have done in the past have either not been blended or were but with filler making me think that it shouldn't be.

cheers
Ben

Midridge2 might be on to something there - just spent a bit of time looking at the Betty Richmond trophy race photos, and it looks like they are all blended into the A post.

Hadn't really noticed it before, but it does look neater - your response above suggests filler isn't the way to go, so what options does that leave ?

#221 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:10 PM

cheers
Ben

Midridge2 might be on to something there - just spent a bit of time looking at the Betty Richmond trophy race photos, and it looks like they are all blended into the A post.

Hadn't really noticed it before, but it does look neater - your response above suggests filler isn't the way to go, so what options does that leave ?

I shall weld it across and shape accordingly.

It is a very good point indeed and one I shall add to the old brain box.

Everyday is a school day!

Cheers

Ben

#222 midridge2

midridge2

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

They were brazed new from the factory and lead body solder. I am old enough to have worked on them in the 60s.

#223 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:25 PM

They were brazed new from the factory and lead body solder. I am old enough to have worked on them in the 60s.

Thanks for the tip - much appreciated !

#224 Avtovaz

Avtovaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

looks good mate! what seam sealer have you used and have you wiped the back of the inner wings with scotchbrite to get that finish?

thanks ;)))

#225 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

Seam sealer is a wurth one and a majority of the engine compartment was sanded by hand with 400. I used a scotchbrite in the tight areas

Ben 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pickup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users