#1 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:13 PM

So after much thinking and now that some spare cash has come my way, I am considering some upgrades.
I posted a while ago about upgrades and was considering a 1275 but I think I'll stick to my 998.

According to guess works online check it's an A Plus.

I am considering a standard Stage 1 kit from Mini spares but would like to fit a KandN, do I need a pancake or come. Several on eBay for around £25?

At a car show this week someone said I should get a stack as well?

I am also for the time being going to stick with front Drum Brakes. Unless I can find some cheap 2Hand 8inch discs flanges shafts etc and go for the cheaper conversion kit for £250.

The only other upgrade will be an Electronic Ignition I could do with a new Dizzy Cap and Leads. There are lots of different types of Electronic Ignition so I am not sure which to get.

Any help and tips on what I am doing and anything else I need to do then please let me know.

#2 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:16 PM

Sorry forgot to say the car is a standard 1.5 HS4?

I do have a spare (not returned) HIF 38 in a box somewhere though.

#3 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Electronic ignition and front discs with braided hoses is what I'd do first. Are there any areas of rust that need sorting out?

You can buy pancake filters on minispares I think but otherwise the stage one kit comes with one for the airbox. Also apparently the airbox works just as well as a pancake filter so unless you like the look of a pancake, the airbox will be fine.

For electronic ignition, have a look and here as there's lots of info about them.

There are loads of topics on here about 998 upgrades but before you increase the engine's power you need to upgrade your brakes to accommodate it.

#4 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:23 PM

http://www.theminifo...-after-stage-1/

http://www.theminifo...upgrades-998cc/

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

In defense of drum brakes they can be suprisingly good, but only if maintained in perfect condition.  Cheap parts too.  It's not like he's going to have much more power with what he's proposing.

#6 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

Drum brakes should be fine if they're adjusted correctly, maybe with a 1275 I'd definitely be swapping to discs but theres people out there with 1275's and drum brakes.

I would keep the standard filter housing and use the filter supplied with the stage one kit. My Ritz ran so much better with a standard filter housing than with a cone filter. I would rebuild a carb as if a worn carb is fitted it can't be tuned to it's full extent.

Once it's all bolted together you can either tune it yourself or get it tuned (highly recommend AC Dodd if you can get to one of his tune up sessions) 

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:22 PM

Remember if you go for the 8.4 discs the won't go in a 10 inch wheel

As Unburnt says you will be OK with drums for the upgrades you have planned BUT MAKE SURE you maintain them well

I refuse to put 1275 engines in Minis with drum brakes.

#8 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

As Unburnt says you will be OK with drums for the upgrades you have planned BUT MAKE SURE you maintain them well

I did a lot of research on discs for 10 inch wheels a year or so ago whenI contemplated doing this previously. I managed to find a cheap complete setup that I could have refurbished but in the end couldn't go through with it :-(

When you say maintain them well, new shoes and visual check of cylinders and lubrication on springs etc? I have already renewed the front cylinder on the front left and both back brake were completely overhauled a couple of years ago.

If I was going down the 1275 I think I would definately swap out for discs :-)

#9 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:03 AM

Will thanks for these some good info.

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:20 AM

When you say maintain them well, new shoes and visual check of cylinders and lubrication on springs etc? I have already renewed the front cylinder on the front left and both back brake were completely overhauled a couple of years ago.

Yes.  Also adjust them regularly and if the adjusters are at all iffy replace the adjusters which on the front means new backplates. 

#11 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:45 PM

Electronic ignition and front discs with braided hoses is what I'd do first. Are there any areas of rust that need sorting out?

You can buy pancake filters on minispares I think but otherwise the stage one kit comes with one for the airbox. Also apparently the airbox works just as well as a pancake filter so unless you like the look of a pancake, the airbox will be fine.

For electronic ignition, have a look and here as there's lots of info about them.

There are loads of topics on here about 998 upgrades but before you increase the engine's power you need to upgrade your brakes to accommodate it.

Will;

All rust has been dealt with - although when I did the restoration I never dropped the front subframe and will do so before doing the stage 1 conversion as the engine bay needs painting.

I do think the pancake or cone filters look better but if the standard works as well then I guess i'll probably stick with that (less expense) need to paint the housing though and renew hot air connection to the manifold, although I have seen people just getting rid of it completely.

Step 1

What I would like to do is drop the Engine / Subframe and clean up the engine bay.

Clean and paint Brake and Clutch Master Cylinders and re-wrap all electrics.

Then renew the brake lines from the master cylinder to the front brake hose unions and maybe the front to rear brake lines.

Step 2

Whilst the engine was out I would strip and check it, sort out a clutch problem (jumps at the top of the bite), clean and paint the engine, clean / check the carb, check / refurbish the front brakes as necessary, check the front suspension, (maybe fit HiLos).

Fit the stage one kit.

Fit Electronic Ignition.

Fit new HT Leads 

Parts

Getting the correct parts for this Mini has always been a bit troublesome as its a 1982 (A Plus as far as I can tell) and seem to be about the time things were changed. The Haynes Manual Wiring Diagram for instance doesn't cover the 1982 HLE I think the Mini 1000 Special is the closet (from memory).

Anyway this looks like the correct coil:

http://www.minispare...C-27H7701.aspx 

This is the Stage One Kit:

http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

Possible Additional Steps

Before going any further, and before I do anything anyway I am going to research all the various options.

Is it worth reading this one off magazine (in digital format):

https://www.zinio.co...ni-expert-m6359

With this in mind my thoughts (that need a lot more research) are:

Another possibility would be to fit a different head, I think I can get my hands on a 12G940 head. I understand that this could be fitted if modified - but again that's clocking up the costs but its a thought.

Another option is to fit a different Cam (in my existing head) seen the EVOLUTION Cam on Mini Spares for less than £100 - any thoughts

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Although it does say for a 998 Idle maybe irratic and lumpy?

Disc Brakes a full conversion kit is £450 http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

But the 8.4 to 7.5 conversion kit is only £180 http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

So if I could find a subframe with 8.4 Discs fitted (in reasonable condition) it might be worth stripping the refurbishing this and using the hubs and cv joints etc?

A lot to consider.

Do it right - do it once and all that :-)  

#12 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Sounds good, maybe start a thread on your new build so you can always ask questions, no matter how minor they may seem. The Evo001 is meant to be a good cam.

#13 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:03 PM

I have heard of David Vizard so is it worth getting his book?

https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/1859606202

Or the Mini Magazine Mini Tuning Special Edition?

#14 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:07 PM

Or the Mini Magazine Mini Tuning Special Edition?

I'd definitely recommend David Vizard's book, especially as it's only £15 atm

#15 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

It is the A series bible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users