50 replies to this topic

#46 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

Ok sitrep, system flushed and re-filled, thermostat removed. Idled for about 5-10 mins by which time the fluid was boiling very well in the expansion tank, guage read at the black line and fan just came on, any ideas?

1)   If there is a "hole" through which enough water water is escaping for the engine to boil, you must surely be able see what has come out and also notice the level falling in the radiator.

2)   If there is a "hole" between the combustion chambers and the cooling system, you should be able to see bubbles in the radiator.

3)   Is the fan rotating the the correct direction to expel air into the nearside wing ?

1) there are no visible leaks, nothing on the ground etc

2) what do you mean bubbles in the radiator? Would that be bubbles in the expansion chamber in my cars case? This could be likely as there is pressure in the main cooling tube (note when running with the expansion chamber cap off and looking in there doesn't appear to be any bubbles....)

3) My rad is in the front

Edited by M0U5EY, 01 August 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#47 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:03 PM

Ok sitrep, system flushed and re-filled, thermostat removed. Idled for about 5-10 mins by which time the fluid was boiling very well in the expansion tank, guage read at the black line and fan just came on, any ideas?

1)   If there is a "hole" through which enough water water is escaping for the engine to boil, you must surely be able see what has come out and also notice the level falling in the radiator.

2)   If there is a "hole" between the combustion chambers and the cooling system, you should be able to see bubbles in the radiator.

3)   Is the fan rotating the the correct direction to expel air into the nearside wing ?

2) what do you mean bubbles in the radiator? Would that be bubbles in the expansion chamber in my cars case? This could be likely as there is pressure in the main cooling tube

If the rad is in the front, then yes.  Bubbles, of what should be going through the exhaust, in the expansion tank.

#48 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

2) what do you mean bubbles in the radiator? Would that be bubbles in the expansion chamber in my cars case? This could be likely as there is pressure in the main cooling tube

If the rad is in the front, then yes.  Bubbles, of what should be going through the exhaust, in the expansion tank.

Ok, didn't notice anything like that, will keep updated.

#49 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Ok did some work today, stripped it all down and got the head off. The gasket used by the mechanic is terrible and going to be replaced (was also top down...). The radiator is also terrible so that is being pulled as well as the water pump and I'll go from there!

#50 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Couple of things to check as they will upset the correct running of the engine -

Thermostat needs to be a 88deg, & the spark plugs are listed by Rover as NGK BPR6E or Champion RN9YCC or Bosch BPR6E-VG.

Something to think about -you really don't want to fit cheap poor quality foreign made rubbish & for a £5 yearly TMF subscription you get a 7.5% discount from Minispares

https://www.minispar...sic/GRD974.aspx

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

#51 M0U5EY

M0U5EY

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:02 PM

Thanks! The guys I work with already ordered the parts through their contacts though (trade prices :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users