#1 Rod_r

Rod_r

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 01:48 AM

Hi.

Maybe a long shot but worth a question. Short back story.....

- Bought in March and discovered car has earlier engine...maybe as early as '60's

- Had 2 lots of various electrical issues fixed and installed stage I kit. Was running well

- Took to panel beater for minor body work, who had it 3-4 weeks.

- Picked it up and was running very rough. Would not idle, kept stalling, and when going was bunny hopping.

- Mechanic next to panel beater got it running but it sounded terrible and seemed out of tune

- Took to very experienced classic mini guy who sorted several issues but could not pinpoint exact cause for initial rough running.

- Drove 10km home and was running sweet until last 200m where it seemed to start to hesitate. Had no time to investigate.

- Later that day took it for a test and was back to how it had been when I picked it up from panel beater..stalling...bunny hopping

Will take back to mini mechanic but on the phone he was a bit mystified, so thought I'd try here

cheers,

rod

Attached Files

Edited by Rod_r, 01 August 2018 - 01:51 AM.

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

Make sure there's a bit of slack in the throttle cable but that it can still open fully. Also make sure that the choke cable is fully functional. Has the carb been rebuilt? Might be worth doing. Check the jet isn't sticking and that the float isn't either. Then flush the fuel and make sure there's a fuel filter. How dirty is the air filter?

Check that the plugs are clean and that all leads are okay too.

Other than that, more experienced people will probably be able to help

#3 Rod_r

Rod_r

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

HI.

Thanks for your post.

Had a rebuilt HS4 carb fitted when the stage 1 kit was installed, including new air filter, new choke cable, new HT leads, new spark plugs, so all that should be OK.

It has a fuel filter in the boot and at least 1 section of fuel line was replaced, but the guy said the pump was noisy and was in the boot when it really should be under the car?

#4 Rod_r

Rod_r

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:18 AM   Best Answer

It was a bad condensor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users