16 replies to this topic

#1 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

Hi, I'm slowly gathering the parts for my turbo build. I'm wondering what rockers and cam chain you would recommend? Any other pointers or turbo specific parts that I may be missing would be good to know. 

Cheers! The price of all the parts is starting to scare me.. 

Will 

#2 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

Standard rockers are fine. Don't need anything fancy unless you have money to burn. Timing chain most people just use a duplex. You can get the belt drive kits, but I'm not a fan of them

#3 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Standard rockers are fine. Don't need anything fancy unless you have money to burn. Timing chain most people just use a duplex. You can get the belt drive kits, but I'm not a fan of them

Thank you! Also what clutch would you recommend?

#4 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

Hi,

Mini Spares do an uprated verto clutch after that you'll have to convert to pre-verto or make a double spring verto clutch.

Cheers  :proud:

#5 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:19 PM

Hi,
Mini Spares do an uprated verto clutch after that you'll have to convert to pre-verto or make a double spring verto clutch.

Thanks Bat, you wouldn't mind explaining verto vs pre-verto would you? Can't seem to find the right info about them

#6 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

Hi,

It's just 2 different types of clutch and flywheel. You can swap one for the other.

The verto is the newer one fitted to A+ engines, the older one has more upgrade options including stronger springs and lighter flywheels.

#7 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:29 PM

Hi,

It's just 2 different types of clutch and flywheel. You can swap one for the other.

The verto is the newer one fitted to A+ engines, the older one has more upgrade options including stronger springs and lighter flywheels.

Ahh okay, cheers! 

#8 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

I've made a list of the parts that I'll need, some of which I already have. Can someone let me know what I've missed please. 

Cylinder head

Block

Turbo

Pistons

Rods

Crankshaft

Camshaft

Inlet Manifold 

Outlet Manifold

Intercooler

Oil Cooler

Lightened Flywheel

X pin diff

Clutch

Carb

Head studs

Cam followers

Push rods

Big end bearing bolts

Rockers

Water pump

Fuel pump

Oil pump

Gaskets

Cam chain

Camshaft liner

Rocker cover

Intercooler piping

Air filter

It's a daunting list but I'll chip away at it bit by bit,

cheers again, 

Will 

#9 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:44 AM

Pre veto used to be the way to go for high power because you could run a grey cover or a double grey. But these would chew through your thrust bearings. A pre Vero is lighter to.

But an RTS which is a homemade twin spring verto clutch is the way to go now! Candle handle loads of power and torque 200+ is lighter then a double grey on the foot.

A couple of people will make them now if you supply the bits. I have one in mine with a minispares lightened verto flywheel

#10 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:12 AM

Pre veto used to be the way to go for high power because you could run a grey cover or a double grey. But these would chew through your thrust bearings. A pre Vero is lighter to.

But an RTS which is a homemade twin spring verto clutch is the way to go now! Candle handle loads of power and torque 200+ is lighter then a double grey on the foot.

A couple of people will make them now if you supply the bits. I have one in mine with a minispares lightened verto flywheel

Thank you! I came across this http://www.minispare...k to catalogue,

Cheers, 

Will

#11 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

This cover...

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Don't forget the plenum and a downpipe and a 2” bore exhaust system!

Oil feed and drain for the turbo, waler waler cooling pipework for the turbo if needed...

Fuel return for the tank and a pressure regulator.

Edited by Bat, 02 August 2018 - 12:04 PM.

#12 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Hi,
This cover...
http://www.minispare...|Back to search

Don't forget the plenum and a downpipe and a 2” bore exhaust system!
Oil feed and drain for the turbo, waler waler cooling pipework for the turbo if needed...
Fuel return for the tank and a pressure regulator.

Thank you! One part at a time and eventually I'll get there, even if it takes a year or two..

#13 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

Hi Haz, could you give me a bit more info about this? Still trying to figure out which clutch to go for

#14 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hi Haz, could you give me a bit more info about this? Still trying to figure out which clutch to go for

Pre verto is what was the go to because you could stick a grey or double grey in and it would handle the power. 

http://www.turbomini...?p=vt&tid=10207

But the RTS is much better, its like running a T3 turbo comparing it to the GT17/20.

Thats the original thread on the RTS. It basically requires 2 verto clutches to make one. You need some other bits and pieces to. But those are the main bits.

Where abouts in Cumbria are you?

Edited by hazpalmer14, 11 August 2018 - 07:58 AM.

#15 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Pre verto is what was the go to because you could stick a grey or double grey in and it would handle the power. 

http://www.turbomini...?p=vt&tid=10207

But the RTS is much better, its like running a T3 turbo comparing it to the GT17/20.

Thats the original thread on the RTS. It basically requires 2 verto clutches to make one. You need some other bits and pieces to. But those are the main bits.

Where abouts in Cumbria are you?

I'm in a village called Caldbeck, near Wigton.
So far I've got the turbo, block, pistons, carb and rods so I've still got a long way to go. I've asked Phil for a head and rebore too so those I can cross that off too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users