Photo
- - - - -

Mini Sputtered, Died, And Now Wont Start Agian

Best Answer Batch , 02 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

Holy mother of god... I left out I guess what is a crucial detail. When I drove the car home I went through a large rainstorm. Upon inspection, the vent line that runs under the car back into the fuel tank is broken in several places. I guess it sucked up a TON of water. 

when I was checking the fuel pump what was coming out looks like gas, smells like gas, but in fact is only about 50% or less gas. Partly by luck I started pumping gas into a bottle to then pour into the carb, but after waiting a second it separated. See the attached picture. I'm no genius, but I think cars need gas, not water to run.  I'll be draining the gas tank now, and I'll keep you guys posted if it starts up. I have a sneaking suspicion it might. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Batch

Batch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:46 AM

Hi guys, if anyone is willing to help me out here I will ecstatic.

I have been starting to dig into this community and get familiar with these cars, but i'm not very far along. I imported an 89 Mini from Japan. Picked it up from the Port yesterday and it ran like a champ for the whole 200 mile drive home. Then today I'm letting it Idle talking to someone, and all the sudden it starts sputtering and abruptly dies. I tried to get it started again and have had no luck. Since it sputtered and killed over I thought maybe it ran out of gas and my gauge was wrong so I put 2 gallons in it, that wasn't it.

I am new to Mini's but not cars. Here is what I have learned today after about 10 hrs. I pulled the spark plugs and cranked the motor, they are all generating a spark and seem to be working correctly. I was worried about the motor so I ran a compression test. All cylinders are between 130-150 PSI. That seems normal to me, but i'm a novice on the 12A. I figured that if I had spark and good compression, it has to be fuel. I found a small fuel pump under the left rear wheel. It does turn on with power and pump fuel, although very low pressure. On a carburated car is that all it needs? it will spew fuel out of the line but like a weak drinking fountain. If I pinch the fuel line it will strain and sort of stop trying, is that normal?

I figured since the fuel pump was working something had to be wrong with the Carb. I have an HIF38. I took it off, took the whole thing apart and cleaned it. everything looks clean and in order and moves freely as it should. I put everything back together and it still won't start! It doesn't even try to kick over, just continually cranks.

Guys I am at a total loss here and very sad that this car that I've had for 2 days has quit on me. Anyone with a lot knowledge willing to help me out or have any other ideas i should check? Thanks!

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:26 AM

pour a bit of fuel down the air intake of carb if it starts up you have a fuel delivery problem.maybe fuel filter or pump

#3 EasterBern

EasterBern

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

Have you checked that the points gap? I had something similar the other day, and was convinced it was a fuel problem but turned out that the points gap had closed up.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

Does that spec of Mini have contact breaker points?

Fuel pressure is only around 4 psi maximum for carburettor models so drinking fountain effect sounds about right.

Did you check the float and valve in the carb?

Do you have a workshop manual to check settings from?

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 02 August 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#5 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:15 AM

How low did you let the fuel level get? If there's a load of crap in the bottom of the tank, it might have been sucked into the fuel lines and caused a blockage. Try to clear any blockages in the fuel lines and then try again. 

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

If there's crap in the bottom of the tank it will get sucked into the fuel lines no matter how much fuel is in the tank.

Batch does say he's getting some fuel pumped through so the vehicle should at least start and run for a bit even if the fuel delivery is low.

There could be something in the carb stopping fuel flow otherwise it seems it's a float chamber or ignition problem.

What else does a Japanese spec Mini have on it that we might be missing?  Emission control equipment?  Anti run-on valve?

#7 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:48 AM

When I help people who have put diesel in their petrol tank, I fill a squeezy bottle with petrol and dribble petrol into a foam sponge held over the inlet to the carburettor, and run the engine with the fuel pump from the tank getting piped into 5 gallon cans.

If that doesn't work, the best thing that you can do is give it away to me.

#8 Merryck

Merryck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Is the dizzy done up nice and tight? I had an issue where after taking it to a garage the dizzy wasn't done up properly so it ran nice for about 20 miles then it span and suddenly the timing was out so it died. Took ages to work out what had happened!

#9 Batch

Batch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was really hoping like many said that some bad gas got in and clogged it up, but after checking the fuel flow and the Carb I don't think that is it. I did check the float and valve and they look to be in great shape. I know fuel is at least getting into the float chamber, because I can take it back off and a lot of fuel will dump out when I turn it upside down. The needle and everything else is clean and I couldn't find any blockages. Unfortunately no I don't have a manual to work from, I really need to track one down. 

I was really hesitant to think that it was an ignition problem, because I can watch the plugs spark. Timing could definitely make sense, it's just a new thought to me that it could randomly get off its timing, but it sounds like that has happened to you guys before! I will dig deep into that today and try what you guys have said. Thanks!

#10 Batch

Batch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:46 PM   Best Answer

Holy mother of god... I left out I guess what is a crucial detail. When I drove the car home I went through a large rainstorm. Upon inspection, the vent line that runs under the car back into the fuel tank is broken in several places. I guess it sucked up a TON of water. 

when I was checking the fuel pump what was coming out looks like gas, smells like gas, but in fact is only about 50% or less gas. Partly by luck I started pumping gas into a bottle to then pour into the carb, but after waiting a second it separated. See the attached picture. I'm no genius, but I think cars need gas, not water to run.  I'll be draining the gas tank now, and I'll keep you guys posted if it starts up. I have a sneaking suspicion it might. 

Attached Files

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

You've found the fault. Change the return line with hard pipe then drain and refill the system and try again. The fuel pump may well need changed but best to run the car with fresh fuel first

#12 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:06 PM

Tip for new mini owners, minis dont like the rain, their electronics are extremely well known for failing when driving in heavy rain. Even with a distributor guard they are prone ( plastic shield behind grill covering the distributor). 

#13 Batch

Batch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:27 AM

Tip for new mini owners, minis dont like the rain, their electronics are extremely well known for failing when driving in heavy rain. Even with a distributor guard they are prone ( plastic shield behind grill covering the distributor). 

Yeah, I was not happy about the rain at all, but I had to get it home!

cleaned out the fuel tank and filled it back up, running great now! well sort of... any quick tutorials for how to tune this Carb?

#14 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, I was not happy about the rain at all, but I had to get it home!

cleaned out the fuel tank and filled it back up, running great now! well sort of... any quick tutorials for how to tune this Carb?

Rather than try to explain, Gurgle  "Adjusting an SU carburettor"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users