6 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:47 PM

Trying to set up a standard 998 (1988) timing and mixture, running unleaded, electronic ignition.

Haynes states 8 or 10 deg depending on high or low compression at 1500 rpm. Just seams high amount of revs?

Following advice on the mini mania site, the suggestion is set to 2000 rpm, advance until revs increase to maximum then back off until revs drop 250 rpm. This results in 20 deg advance ie the last mark of the 6 marks! But it appears to go well and this figure coincides with what the car was previously set to, although that does not make it right. (That's with vacuum disconnected)

Previous advice on here seams to start at say 8 deg and advance by 2 deg unitl it pinks then go back 2.

But the problem I have is that I can't hear any pinking over the engine noise and various rattles from inside and out. Driving up hill at low revs attracts a certain resonance which drowns out any hope of hearing it pink.

Advice please on how best to set it up. Does that 20 deg at 1500rpm seam excessive or plausible?

Just been out to see what timing is at tick over and it's still 16 according to timing chain cover marks.

But I was reminded that on the strobe there is facility to adjust back to align with tdc mark and read advance off the gauge. This results in 6 deg at 1500 rpm. So clearly a discrepancy between the 2 methods.

Edited by Haynes, 03 August 2018 - 05:24 PM.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

Where are you measuring the 'advance'? If at the Harmonic Damper, it may indicate a failed damper, but being a 998, it'll be fine with just a standard pulley.

I doubt it really does have that much advance otherwise, it would be hard to start and likely kick back.

#3 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:08 PM

just watched YouTube vid called ultimate guide to setting igmition timing, mini specific. Interestingly enough he went on to set 32 deg max advance at 4000 rpm and that was 16 deg at tick over, ie what I have.

Maybe I need to road test more and advance until I can hear pinking then I'll know where the limit is.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

My Grandfather's Rolls Royce had an advance / retard lever on the steering column.

If he stopped for not too long so that there was still sufficient compression, he could restart the engine by simply fully advancing the ignition.

#5 racingbob

racingbob

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:42 PM

why not send the dizzy to A.C. on the forum and get him to check and alter the curve and he will tell you what to set at full advance example 28 deg at 4000 65 quid well spent

#6 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:30 PM

I mentioned my strobe light in the OP, turns out I was reading off the wrong scale and turns out it does agree with the prongs facing the pulley wheel. So now set to 8 deg at 1500 rpm. Appears to run ok but doesn't seam to have much advance at higher revs.

Does anyone know the advance of a 1988 998 Mayfair dizzy?

Still wish I could actually hear it pink though.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 August 2018 - 09:35 PM

We usually set our timing to 10° at 1000 rpm vacuum disconnected.
Then road test and tweak on the road as needed, I'd strongly advise to use the same test route, you want to be able to get upto 60 mph. Once tour happy with performance on the road double check the timing with the light.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users