7 replies to this topic

#1 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

I suspect the voltage stabilizer has died as the temp gauge has stopped working, & the fuel gauge has never worked properly (always reads 3/4 full regardless).
Would this be a dodgy voltage stabilizer?

I have the Nippon Seiki gauges but am unsure how to replace the voltage stabilizer.
Is this possible? How do I go about doing this?

#2 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hi,

There's a post or 2 about this, I've posted in one about the replacement component required. 

Have a search it should show up...

Cheers  :proud:

#3 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

OK, so I found this:-
http://www.theminifo...tage-regulator/

#4 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:57 AM

Nice one.

As Maplins (as mentioned in the Link) are out of business, you can get the Regulator (assuming it's also 10V like the Smiths one) from RS Components;--

https://uk.rs-online...lators/8062857/

The 10 Volt types are a little obscure and not easy to come by.

I also note in the linked article the use of a heat sink. If it's onlt the Fuel and Temp gauges that are being run off this, I wouldn't bother with the heatsink, however, a couple of small Capacitors should be fitted too, one between the Input & Earth and the other between the Output and Earth, anything around 1 to 10 Microfarrds would be fine here, just be sure that have a 15 volt of higher rating and watch the polarity of them.

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Hi,

Good find!

The one I posted in was linked to that how to post. The question was asked as Maplin had just closed.

I looked up a 10v 1amp voltage regulator on eBay for my reply.

Cheers  :proud:

#6 Readers14

Readers14

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

I’ve been thinking long & hard about fixing this, but I always had the intention of fitting extra gauges at some point.

I fitted a new dash with 3 gauge holes a few months ago.
I think now is the time to start fitting new gauges & have decided on a dual oil pressure/ water temp gauge, fuel gauge, & maybe a oil temp. A new voltage regulator will be fitted for the fuel gauge.
All gauges will be Smiths gauges as I’ve always liked the look of them.
The OEM fuel & temp gauges will become redundant.

#7 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

Nice one.

As Maplins (as mentioned in the Link) are out of business, you can get the Regulator (assuming it's also 10V like the Smiths one) from RS Components;--

https://uk.rs-online...lators/8062857/

The 10 Volt types are a little obscure and not easy to come by.

I also note in the linked article the use of a heat sink. If it's onlt the Fuel and Temp gauges that are being run off this, I wouldn't bother with the heatsink, however, a couple of small Capacitors should be fitted too, one between the Input & Earth and the other between the Output and Earth, anything around 1 to 10 Microfarrds would be fine here, just be sure that have a 15 volt of higher rating and watch the polarity of them.

..a little late to the game on this one, but RS appear to only supply them in tubes of 50...

a quick google for LM7810CT provides some alternative suppliers out there though - the following, for example, lists them at 54p each (+p&p)

https://www.digikey....10CT-ND/1954730

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

RS will supply one, but they have price breaks at 50 and 100.

I'm quite sure there's a zillion suppliers of them, I only mention RS as I happen to have an account with them and they can be easy to deal with, even for one offs.

If you just google LM7810 (dropping the CT) more options will come up.

The LM7805 which is a 5 volt regulator, are very common (I'm sure there was one in my Corn Flakes box in fact!). There is a way these can be used by putting 2 of these together or using one and adding 5 volt Zener Diode to the Common Terminal, but the LM7810 is simple and straight forward.

I mentioned in an earlier post about not bothering with a heat sink and this is fine if only running the 2 standard gauges. If more than 2 gauges are to be run, then a heatsink would be needed. These Regulators will supply up to 1 amp and if you work to around 200 mA per gauge, each Regulator will supply up to 5 gauges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users