Photo
- - - - -

Camper Van -And Then Engine Out For Rebuild.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

Hi Chaps.

Im saving for a camper van or conversion project at the moment - i predict that by end september ill have one (or near enough) and then once ive got another set of wheels to get me to work, the engine is coming out of the mini and im stripping it and rebuilding it myself, this will include a full strip and refurb of the carb and gearbox, and im damn well fitting straight cut gears this time because i can.

Im going to video document the whole thing and it should be a fun journey - when i post the videos up in each section you can all shout at the screen "what are you doing???!!!" and "NO! oh my god you moron! "

somebody told me that there was a DVD that minisport used to sell that was like a video haynes - a guide to fully stripping, checking and rebuilding an engine.

This would help me massively more than reading from a book as id rather see it done than follow diagrams.

does anyone know if this is a real thing or am i back to the haynes

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:02 AM

https://www.minispor.../mini-dvds.html

Is it the Haynes mini dvd you're talking about?

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

I presume the mini is a road car, if so you'll get plenty of people telling you not to fit straight cut gears, I love them in mine but its only a weekend warrior/ toy but if you get on dual carriageway/motorway you need ear plugs, that's using straight cut drops and gearset, gearset only will be quieter.
Most of the gearsets use a tall 1st gear so you need to select final drive carefully, will depend on engine size and cam choice to some extent.
Good luck with it.

#4 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

Bill Sollis ultimate engine builder was really useful and was a good reference for my first a series rebuild...

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B002HRYFSM

Often they are cheaper on the forum or eBay. Good luck!

#5 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hi,

Didn't there used to be a build a 1380 dvd as well?

Cheers  :proud:

#6 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:02 AM

I presume the mini is a road car, if so you'll get plenty of people telling you not to fit straight cut gears, I love them in mine but its only a weekend warrior/ toy but if you get on dual carriageway/motorway you need ear plugs, that's using straight cut drops and gearset, gearset only will be quieter.
Most of the gearsets use a tall 1st gear so you need to select final drive carefully, will depend on engine size and cam choice to some extent.
Good luck with it.

yes dont worry ive been there and back on this one over the past 12 months,  - ive even met people and driven their cars to see- ill have straight cut gears but helical drops. My pal had both and it was deafening. I dont mind the sound of just the gears and helical drops at all - the beauty being that im not looking for top end speed, just decent torque at low end- AC Dodd makes cams that would suit me to a tee - as i say, its an ongoing process and im goin to think it all through

Edited by happydude2012, 04 August 2018 - 10:04 AM.

#7 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

Bill Sollis ultimate engine builder was really useful and was a good reference for my first a series rebuild...

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B002HRYFSM

Often they are cheaper on the forum or eBay. Good luck!

is there a 1275 one? this is 1380 (or does it not matter)

#8 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

Its pretty much the same 1380/1275 but the compression ratio / calculations / cc's work out differently [as they do for most]

I'm looking forward to your thread, fair play to you for doing it yourself, it is very satisfying...can also be a bit frustrating.

Take your time, measure things carefully, several times, recheck after fitting etc and if you are unsure ask...(it costs nowt)

You have it exactly right with a straight cut box and helical drop gears too.

The ratios are so good for a tuned engine and that noise is addictive

Best of luck.

#9 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

I did a 1275, as retroman said, the build is largely the same - as in the same parts in the same order and you need to check/look out for the same things

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,941 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:00 PM

all i will say is get a minimum of a Haynes service manual. eg

xGyjgRn.jpg

not one of the new ones.

#11 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

So in preparation.

Im staying with the 1275 set up, stage 2 head is fine for me also.

I could use some advice on the following.

If you were building a fast road engine / gearbox  - driven as an every day drive and had a 1275 block with a stage 2 head and HIF44 already, what cam/rocker/Gear ratio would you look at? 

Im going for S/C gears (not the drops) - yes i know theyre noisy - but just for arguments sake , what would your ideal set up be?

Im thinking in terms of engine size, cam choice, and final drive as mentioned by the Honorable gentleman above.

The overall aim is smooth, powerful road speeds, torquey and grunty, i am not trying to break the land speed record and i dont want to die concertina in a flying tin can.

Love a bit of advice from the engine/gearbox crowd as a sort of benchmark for components and what i should be considering.

thanks all/

Edited by happydude2012, 04 August 2018 - 09:08 PM.

#12 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

xGyjgRn.jpg

not one of the new ones.

Ill do my best - just not my favorite method of learning.

Edited by happydude2012, 04 August 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,941 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

xGyjgRn.jpg

not one of the new ones.

Ill do my best - just not my favorite method of learning.

neither me being  dyslexic (but paper was all I had in the 80s) but Video is the worst as there are so many assumptions. get the paper. read it watch the vids and go back to the paper. the paper does not change and the details are there in black and white. the vid may show a how to but will not show the variables.

#14 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:50 PM

High torque cam (MED HT, SW5, ACDodd, BP255....) with 1.4 rockers (CalverST) and 3.44 FDR 

#15 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:07 PM

well, ive already got an SW5 and it needs replacing i think - we will see after i measure lobe lifts -ive got to do that before i do any rebuilds because i need the car immediate and sorted soon.

Got 1:5 rockers as swiftune reccommend these with the sw5 but im told repeatedly they are naff. lol - and 3:44 final drive duly noted, thankyou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users