Photo
- - - - -

Camper Van -And Then Engine Out For Rebuild.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

So in preparation.

Im staying with the 1275 set up, stage 2 head is fine for me also.

I could use some advice on the following.

If you were building a fast road engine / gearbox  - driven as an every day drive and had a 1275 block with a stage 2 head and HIF44 already, what cam/rocker/Gear ratio would you look at? 

Im going for S/C gears (not the drops) - yes i know theyre noisy - but just for arguments sake , what would your ideal set up be?

Im thinking in terms of engine size, cam choice, and final drive as mentioned by the Honorable gentleman above.

The overall aim is smooth, powerful road speeds, torquey and grunty, i am not trying to break the land speed record and i dont want to die concertina in a flying tin can.

Love a bit of advice from the engine/gearbox crowd as a sort of benchmark for components and what i should be considering.

thanks all/

Hi,

I've built & fitted to my Mini a 1293cc A+ engine with an SW5 cam and a Minispares fast road head. I'm running twin 11/4" SU's with a standard Cooper "S" airbox (but fitted with K&N elements). Valve wise I've got 1.5 rockers (probably not ideal) and have Lumenition electronic ignition under the dizzy cap. Dizzy is an Aldon "yellow" spec. Compression ratio is 10:1. 

All this cobbled together and set-up at home is giving me a nice torquey engine that's a pleasure to drive, but it still feels like there's a little more to come (via a rolling road session).

Transmission wise, I've rebuilt an MPi 'box and fitted a 3.1 diff and a hardened diff-pin, this gives a good balance between acceleration and noise (I like my car as quiet as possible!). 70mph on the motorway is tolerable and its good for blast around the B roads of the New Forest :).

Cheers, Steve.       

#17 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Hi, Thanks for that, sounds cool

#18 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 05 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

I’ve got pretty much exactly that Stevie W, but with 1 1/2s .. a bit over 80 bhp on Slarks rolling road and a joy to drive

#19 happydude2012

happydude2012

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:49 PM

see im 76bhp on the rolling road with just my set up, and that was;

Stage 2 head

SW5

1:5 Rockers

HIF44.

That was 1000 miles after a rebuild about 3-4 years ago. 

I like the sw5 i think its a great cam, im just repeatedly told the 1:5 rockers are rubbish despite nick swifts spec for the sw5 - 

#20 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,315 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

The 1.5s are not rubbish.  Some are better made than others and, like any 'tuning' part, there are pros and cons.

The SW5 cam does work better with them than without.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users