6 replies to this topic

#1 Will96

Will96

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:03 PM

Hi guys. I'm investigating for potential future modifications to my 76 mini saloon. Currently I have a 998 and looking to rebuild my 1275 and stick that in for that little bit of oomph, but in the future I'm looking to make a bit of a beast and was wondering what none standard engines people have managed to show horn into the front with minimal amount of modifications to body and frame.

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:24 PM

Have a look in the engine conversions section of the forum, there's lots of good info there

#3 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

Anecdotal and completely personal but...don't bother. Stick to an A-series.

Everything with an engine conversion is a compromise and generally none of it for the better. I got 80-90% through a Vauxhall conversion and got sick of building the damn thing. I reverted to an A-series and had the car on the road a few months later.

If I wanted to go all-out in future I'd look towards the BMW head conversion but I'd rather stick with a 5-port.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

I was asked to test drive a Mini with a V-Tec 1.8 Honda engine. It had cost a great deal and was done in what seemed a thorough manner.

However, driving it was not a pleasant experience. True it was quick, but the overall stability was a bit suspect. The overall 'feel' was not Mini-like and, to me, it spoiled what had been a good car.

Most people buy and use a true classic car as a 'retro' experience. If an out-and-out performance car is wanted, then a classic car, (unless it is something like a 1973 Porsche 911 2.7 Carrera RS - my absolute favourite car), then it is best to buy a modern car for less money and with vastly more overall performance. The money saved will also buy a classic Mini for that retro experience.

#5 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:31 PM

then it is best to buy a modern car for less money and with vastly more overall performance.

This is a gap the early BMW Minis fit into in my opinion (we've got two of them so maybe I'm biased). They are Mini-ish, really cheap to buy (one of ours was £900 and hasn't missed a beat in 2 years), fun to drive but also carry modern running gear and safety equipment.

If we didn't have the classic, I'd have an early S model as a play thing.

#6 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:55 AM

They did a comparison test at Curborough sprint track some years ago...

Honda Type R, redtop vauhall, A series and another, all in Minis

The A series was the fastest

I think it comes down to balance / weight distribution and sticking another 30 kg in front of the axle line helps nothing.

In a straight line the extra power is ok but you need to go round corners too, as Cooperman says you loose the Mini feel which is what its all about to me.

A series all the way for me.

In todays terms BMC spent many millions developing Issigonis' napkin drawing to what it is and its a very difficult package to improve on, rubber suspension and 10 inch wheels included.

Having built a 1000cc single carb Mini that was less than 1.5 seconds slower at Harewood than a 2 litre 16 valve double overhead cam turbo charged works cosworth... that proved it for me.

#7 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:36 AM

They did a comparison test at Curborough sprint track some years ago...

Honda Type R, redtop vauhall, A series and another, all in Minis

The A series was the fastest

I think it comes down to balance / weight distribution and sticking another 30 kg in front of the axle line helps nothing.

In a straight line the extra power is ok but you need to go round corners too, as Cooperman says you loose the Mini feel which is what its all about to me.

A series all the way for me.

In todays terms BMC spent many millions developing Issigonis' napkin drawing to what it is and its a very difficult package to improve on, rubber suspension and 10 inch wheels included.

Having built a 1000cc single carb Mini that was less than 1.5 seconds slower at Harewood than a 2 litre 16 valve double overhead cam turbo charged works cosworth... that proved it for me.

Hi,

I agree with what you say about engine swaps, I've never driven anything other than a mini engine in a mini.

I've read others saying the same as you and that's why I've chucked a turbo on mine.

As for the cosworth, I think you should have been driving that instead! 3dr road cars have spot on race geometry so a works car should have no excuse!

We used to get beat off the line by a little old lady in a Mini when road testing cosworths, but once spooled the Mini was history!  :lol:

Cheers  :proud:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users