#16 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

check vacuum on dizzy suck on little pipe

advance moves, then you should not be able to suck any more air through it should be solid.

check the rubber connecting pipes with your own sucking while its connected to thin plastic pipe just a tiny leak is enough to upset the system

+1. My experience with a split vacuum can diaphragm is that it significantly the idle quality.

I have also had the black plastic advance pipe develop small splits which had same effect

I had a similar problem with a lumpy tickover, after going through all the normal checks i replaced the black plastic advance pipe and the connectors, the car now idles much better and is much smoother throughout.

http://www.minispare...00/37H4229M.jpg

Edited by JXC Mini GT, 06 August 2018 - 07:18 PM.

#17 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

Thanks For Everyone's comments. I have taken the lazy route of ordering a new vacuum hose and unit for the dizzy. Will let you all know how I go.

#18 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

see below

Edited by Ol timer, 11 August 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#19 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:14 PM

Well, I checked the Vac hose and Vacuum unit and they were fine ,

BUT I found the Vacuum plate was seized, the Vacuum unit wasn't even connect and the vacuum plate and Unit were on arse about face

.. I dismantled the Dizzy, soaked the Plate in WD40 for a couple hours and it freed up..

Fitting everything back correctly and the car wouldnt start,

I then realised when I installed the Electronic Ignition bits to the Dizzy I installed them when the plate was on about face, so that lead to re timing the dizzy, it was done by ear because I don't have a timing gun and there isn't a timing plate on the chain cover , well I can say she runs a hell of a lot better, not lumpy at all and seems to take off better.

I will however have to get a timing gun and re time , but with out any indicators on the chain cover I don't know how...

Thanks to all who steered me in the right direction... Certainly puts a smile on my face when something goes right !!

Edited by Ol timer, 11 August 2018 - 03:21 PM.

#20 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

I will however have to get a timing gun and re time , but with out any indicators on the chain cover I don't know how...

If you have a pre-verto clutch you can see timing marks on the flywheel through the flywheel housing cover inspection plate.

#21 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 04:28 PM

its a 1974 engine and Box I believe so wouldnt know what clutch it has, will have a look see tomorrow.. thanks for that

#22 Ol timer

Ol timer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:31 PM

Spot on re the inspection plate... Timing was way out.. Once set, the power increase was certainly noticable.. put a big Smile on my face - Isnt it great when things finally start going in the right direction..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users