#1 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Hi,

I am looking at all the options for suspension on a 1998 Sportspack, the current suspension setup is all original and in need of replacement.

Im looking for a really nice comfortable setup, I would like it to feel as comfy as a mini can be whilst driving as the roads around me are really bad and will only get worse over time so for once Im being sensible.

Has anyone replaced their suspension on a mpi with a significant improvement?

Thanks Kevin

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

the problem is the wheels.

but replacing the rubbers for new and the shocks will make a big improvement.

#3 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

This is going to draw the usual criticism -

Our donuts were worn out, so we replaced them with Minitastic springs, a Hilo kit and good GAZ dampers.

We love it!! Our Mini is used for long trips and it’s great. Doesn’t tramline anywhere near as much and is much less jarring over bad roads.

We’ve done several 5 hour continuos drives and lots of town stuff. Near enough 5000 miles last year.

There seems to be a very big difference in the quality of the springs out there. We went with what we were told were the best - Minitastic. They still have an element of rising rate in them. Sport packs seem to me to drive better with a slightly raised ride height.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:54 PM

Any coil spring is at best inferior to the original rubber cone springs and at worst a load of unsafe junk. Sorry to be blunt, but it is not possible to change to a coil spring which gives not only a rising spring rate, but one which is accurate for the car and will not 'coil-bind' at max. deflection. They are fine for the race track, but not for the road.

A 13" wheel is never going to give the best possible ride because the tyre depth is insufficient to do that part of the suspension work as designed originally. A 12" wheel is better and a 10" wheel is best.

Thus for the optimum ride you fit 10" wheels, original specification rubber cone springs and good quality dampers.

A slightly higher ride height will improve a car with 13" wheels a bit as it increases the amount of available suspension travel which means the dampers can be set slightly softer (assuming they are adjustable)

Edited by Cooperman, 06 August 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Red spot cones and Hilo kits, then get the dampers serviced

#6 Orange-Phantom

Orange-Phantom

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:42 PM

I pulled the expensive Japanese Mini Delta Fast road springs off mine and put Red Spot Cones all round on mine.  I wish I'd done that ages ago.  It has totally transformed the car to say the least.  I can't believe how much better it is now!

Our roads on the Isle of Man aren't the best, my car now goes over the rougher stuff so much better and the handling is very much improved.

My brother who races his Cooper S and wins races also runs the Rubber Cones and so does my dad who has Tony Ponds old Mini.  My brother commented when following me one time that he could see the back end properly bouncing around when going over the bumps.  What was actually happening was the spring was running out of travel, then coil binding sending the car bouncing off!  Funnily enough it doesn't do that anymore!

Alice Drooper their is a very good reason why springs on a Mini draw "the usual criticism" and that's because they don't work as well as a rubber donut does in the small space available.  If you're happy with them fair enough but I'd bet my own money that if you put a fresh set of Red Spots on it would be a heck of a lot better.

Kevinmini I'd recommend that you do a search on these forums to see what the general consensus is regarding fitting springs to a Mini.  Basically not recommended!  Do yourself a favour and stick with the rubber cones.  I'm very happy with the Minispares red spots.

#7 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

i would not run Hilos as you want the travel movment for comfort. and the sports pack had raised suspension as standard.

Ps there is not a Coil kit available off the shelf that is actually better than the rubbers.

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

i would not run Hilos as you want the travel movment for comfort. and the sports pack had raised suspension as standard.

Ps there is not a Coil kit available off the shelf that is actually better than the rubbers.

Hilos will adjust to the same length as the trumpet. I have hilos on my 998 powered mini, they work well when we need them

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

Hilos will adjust to the same length as the trumpet. I have hilos on my 998 powered mini, they work well when we need them

yes but then you are just adding cost that may not be needed. as the knuckles are used with a washer to bring the suspension up. Also note the HiLo makes the suspension stiffer which is what is not what is wanted here. similarly Red dots not needed just standard and boring.

#10 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:31 AM

- Kayaba self adjust dampers

- new original cones

- new knuckles

- 12" wheels

- hilos (original hight)

And you have a smooth ride...

hilos are worth the money, makes the installation of the cones much easyer and you can ajdust the perfect ridehight, wich is a very important suspension factor.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

but the HiLows make the suspension stiffer as the radii on the seat is changed to give a faster rate spring.

#12 ings

ings

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

but the HiLows make the suspension stiffer as the radii on the seat is changed to give a faster rate spring.

There are also "hilos" with smaler seat... and oem like springrate.

#13 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

Hi,

I've seen two different types of adjustable trumpets.

I don't know which is which, but to my mind the ones with the large radius on the outside is the one to go for as it looks the same as the standard trumpets.

Cheers  :proud:

#14 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 22 August 2018 - 12:20 PM

Hi,
I've seen two different types of adjustable trumpets.
I don't know which is which, but to my mind the ones with the large radius on the outside is the one to go for as it looks the same as the standard trumpets.
Cheers :proud:

There is the minispares ripspeed version and then a copy of that which isn't as good

#15 Kubbar

Kubbar

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 01:59 PM

Hi

If u need a good suspension first go with springs rather than cones there is one special for rally better than cone. And lower arm adjustable and hi lo adjustable

Regarding the shock absorbers go with these two only:
1) bilstein b4 its gaz
2) koni lowered

I give u these as per my experience on mpi and i will give u photos for my suspension if u want

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users