#1 Kevinmini

Kevinmini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Hi,

I currently have a twin centre DTM style exhaust that is so loud it is unpleasent to drive so it needs to go in the bin!!

Im looking to replace this with a nice round sports exhaust but nothing too loud, the problem I have is I have a huge amount of speed bumps in the area and the exhaust gets caught all the time which causes me to take different routes and has caused quite a few problems.

Does anyone have any tips / advice / parts or current setups to get as much clearance as possible form exhaust to road surface

Thanks Kevin

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

Looking at your other post on suspension it will probably be better to renew your suspension first as this should give more ground clearance if your current donuts are well worn. I had the standard side exit system on my MPI and never had a great problem with speed humps, although saying that it depended on whether the council had been over zealous, also taking them at a low speed helped.

#3 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

The best exhaust option is a Maniflow twin box single-exit system at 1.75" dia with a 'cherry-bomb' as the centre box.

It would be a good idea to raise your suspension by a couple of cms. Another tip is to fit the exhaust system as it was fitted to the earlier Mk.1 & 2 Cooper 'S' which had the exhaust sitting a bit closer to the body by using a big 'choc-block' rear mounting at the front of the rear sub-frame and a pair of 'cotton-reels' at the back of the rear sub-frame. That will increase the exhaust to road clearance by a fair bit. The exhaust pipe top edge should be around 1/2" below the bottom of the rear sub-frame cross members. You can get the necessary U-clamps from any exhaust centre.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:58 PM

The best exhaust option is a Maniflow twin box single-exit system at 1.75" dia with a 'cherry-bomb' as the centre box.

It would be a good idea to raise your suspension by a couple of cms. Another tip is to fit the exhaust system as it was fitted to the earlier Mk.1 & 2 Cooper 'S' which had the exhaust sitting a bit closer to the body by using a big 'choc-block' rear mounting at the front of the rear sub-frame and a pair of 'cotton-reels' at the back of the rear sub-frame. That will increase the exhaust to road clearance by a fair bit. The exhaust pipe top edge should be around 1/2" below the bottom of the rear sub-frame cross members. You can get the necessary U-clamps from any exhaust centre.

What you describe sounds like what most older Minis have apart from a pair of cotton reels instead of a single one.  Why were there a pair of cotton reels?

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:00 PM

It's what most of us used to do on the early Coopers and Cooper 'S's to prevent the rear exhaust mounting from failing. It is very simple to do, especially if a centre-exit is used.

Actually I use 4 cotton reels, two vertical and two horizontal, on rally Minis. I also weld my exhaust into a one-piece system from the Y-piece to the final exit. I have never had it fall off yet.

I use a centre-exit for two reasons. The first is if I spin off backwards into an earth bank, the centre-exit is less likely to bend. The second is that with twin Facit electric pumps under the boot floor inside the sub-frame profile I need a fuel-pump shield made from 3 mm thick aluminium sheet. This would not be possible with a side exit as the silencer box would hit the fuel pump shield.

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

It's what most of us used to do on the early Coopers and Cooper 'S's to prevent the rear exhaust mounting from failing. It is very simple to do, especially if a centre-exit is used.

Actually I use 4 cotton reels, two vertical and two horizontal, on rally Minis. I also weld my exhaust into a one-piece system from the Y-piece to the final exit. I have never had it fall off yet.

I use a centre-exit for two reasons. The first is if I spin off backwards into an earth bank, the centre-exit is less likely to bend. The second is that with twin Facit electric pumps under the boot floor inside the sub-frame profile I need a fuel-pump shield made from 3 mm thick aluminium sheet. This would not be possible with a side exit as the silencer box would hit the fuel pump shield.

Would you post a photo of that arrangement - it sounds really good.  What exhaust brackets do you use - do you make your own?

#7 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Pm me your personal email and I will send a photo or two.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

Pm me your personal email and I will send a photo or two.

#9 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

Hi Cooperman,

Sorry to jump your thread reply, why have you mounted the fuel pumps in the subframe ? just asking as I'm changing to a facet and was going to mount in the boot ?

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

I am from an aerospace background and i don't like having two electric pumps mounted in the same physical area as tanks with up to 11 gallons of petrol. If I go off the road backwards or if someone runs into the back of my car the fuel pipes could rupture and the battery short out.
Just me being paranoid maybe.

#11 Cooperman

Cooperman

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

I am from an aerospace background and i don't like having two electric pumps mounted in the same physical area as tanks with up to 11 gallons of petrol. If I go off the road backwards or if someone runs into the back of my car the fuel pipes could rupture and the battery short out.
Just me being paranoid maybe.

#12 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

What you describe sounds like what most older Minis have apart from a pair of cotton reels instead of a single one.  Why were there a pair of cotton reels?

Hi,

It's a different bracket on the rear that moves the exhaust up a bit and it's triangle shape so uses 2 bobbins and most subframes have the extra hole already.

Cheers  :proud:

#13 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:29 PM

I always wondered what that extra hole was for!  Is the bracket still available or does one makes ones own these days?

#14 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:49 PM

Hi,

Try this one...

https://www.minispar...|Back to search

Cheers  :proud:

#15 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:09 PM

Cheers Bat.  I had an RC40 years ago so must have used one of these then but don't remember it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users