Photo

Urgent Diagnostics Opinion - Moved Fuel Tank Won’T Start

Best Answer xrocketengineer , 07 August 2018 - 12:39 AM

Did you clean and reinstalled properly the earth (black wire) for the LH light cluster? It is the same for the fuel pump. When you check the inertia switch, there will be brown/slate wire. This wire comes from the pump relay in the relay module next to the brake servo. the wire has the inline fuse for the pump LF4 (10Amps).  

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hi all,

Had to move the fuel tank to replace the LH light cluster. Now it’s back in its place but the car won’t start.

Turns over and over and won’t fire. It did run momentarily but I saw a spark and turned it off. Could I have blown a fuse or relay? Thanks have checked all fuses in the fuse box and they look okay.

Car is a 1995 SPI. Any ideas?? It’s parked in a private car park - which is okay - but need to get it moved ASAP.

I don’t have a multimeter (not sure how to use one anyway) any simple tests I can do???

Thanks

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

can you here the fuel pump on ignition on?

#3 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:53 PM

I’m not with the car now so can’t check - don’t think I did hear it actually. It didn’t cough and splutter. Just nothing.

Looked on Minispares and it says SPi’s are fitted with an inertia switch in the engine bay... could it be that moving the tank caused the inertia switch to activate and therefor disengage the pump?

#4 Yuzukurosak

Yuzukurosak

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

I did this with my mini sprite 1992. I found that air got stuck in the fuel pipe we took the air filter box off and disconnected the fuel line and turned the car over until petrol started pulling through and reconected the line again and the issue never happened again

#5 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:44 PM

I'd have said try the inertia switch. Could be something to do with that as in a rear end shunt, this could move the tank and this switch could kick in...???

Only a guess like

#6 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:51 PM

Have you checked that the electrical connections to the pump are still in place considering you moved the tank it’s possible one may have come off.

#7 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:39 AM   Best Answer

Did you clean and reinstalled properly the earth (black wire) for the LH light cluster? It is the same for the fuel pump. When you check the inertia switch, there will be brown/slate wire. This wire comes from the pump relay in the relay module next to the brake servo. the wire has the inline fuse for the pump LF4 (10Amps).  

#8 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:47 AM

How much fuel is in the tank?

#9 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

I have yet to put the light back in place... there were two black earth wires attached to the bottom RH thread securing the light housing. I presumed that these were to earth the lights, not the tank. I’ll reattach and try.

Also, how does the inertia switch work, does it click on and off and which is correct setting for the pump to fire.

Can someone advise the colour coordination of the pump wiring (white clip on top of tank). I have black and white - presume white is +ve and black -ve ? I may run a wire from the battery to test the pump is operating - it was all fine before I started to faff about with it!!

#10 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:50 AM

How much fuel is in the tank?

Plenty of fuel. In fact I should really drain some as it was a git to move it about...

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:51 AM

I have yet to put the light back in place... there were two black earth wires attached to the bottom RH thread securing the light housing. I presumed that these were to earth the lights, not the tank. I’ll reattach and try.

that will be the issue.

#12 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:52 AM

Attached File  9BF7F07F-EE42-4859-B36D-83744917C1B4.jpeg   30.1K   0 downloads

#13 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:19 AM

Attached File  740541F6-717F-413C-B397-C55B7C4283D2.jpeg   32K   0 downloads

These ones! Will give that a try - thanks team.

#14 Chodosh

Chodosh

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

that will be the issue.

Power to the people!

Earthed the wires and bingo - off I go... thanks all!

#15 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

Hi,

That spark would have been when the earth touched something metal and the pump started to draw power.

Cheers  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users