7 replies to this topic

#1 Yuzukurosak

Yuzukurosak

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:51 PM

I know this topic has come up thousands of times but I am absolutely banging my head against a brick wall with this issue and I can't seem to find the issue. The problem I have is with my lighting on the head lights... I'll do a full break down of what going on.

-1. When I click the lighting switch to position 1 or 2 my interior lights come on and the rear lights but absolutely no lights on the front of the car. Also the high beam indicator on the clocks is showing that it's on even though it's set to off on the stalk.

-2. I took the switch off and bridged the circuit and found my lights come on but they come on with full high beam on.

-3. If I bridge across all 3 connectors the front lights don't work.. it is all the same as bullet point 1.

-4. When all the lights are set in the off position on the switch when I click my high beam stalk it works for the high beam perfectly fine. Just doesn't work when the lighting switch for all my other lights is in position 1 or 2...

-5. Also I have checked fuses 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8 they are all fine.

I hope I've been making at least a little bit of sence to anyone who is reading this

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:52 AM

If this is a 1990's Sprite then you may have a problem with the dim/dip relay which is somewhere behind the dash.  On the relay there should be a blue/brown wire and a blue/red wire.  Temporarily remove these and join them together and then try the lights.  If they then work then the relay is faulty.

#3 Yuzukurosak

Yuzukurosak

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for replying I'll try this tonight when I finish work.... Will taking out the relay and making a bridge between those 2 wires on spade crimps do the same effect or does the relay need to be in?

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for replying I'll try this tonight when I finish work.... Will taking out the relay and making a bridge between those 2 wires on spade crimps do the same effect or does the relay need to be in?

Just remove the relay then bridge the wires above with a small length of wire with male spade connectors on each end. Also check the stalk and earths for the lights

#5 Yuzukurosak

Yuzukurosak

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:07 PM

Right I'm home now that method you said about the link for the the relay works but for only the right hand side of the car the left hand side does not work on both front and back lights

#6 Yuzukurosak

Yuzukurosak

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

I think I may of sorted it.... With that link like I said only powerd one side of the car... I found a red/black cable in the relay and shorted it to a permanent live and found it made the left side live again I think the issue is deffinatly relay... Thanks for all the help guys just waiting for a new relay to turn up from eBay and I'll keep you posted if its deffinatly all working... I also replaced alot of the crappy connections for the lights in the engine bay because why the hell not haha would rather see new stuff when it comes to wiring then old

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Glad you're getting somewhere with it.  Hope the relay sorts it.  Replacing crappy connections is never a bad thing.

#8 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:30 PM

Hi,

It's usually a bad earth in those connections behind the grille as the lights will try to find an earth through the main beam warning light.

Cheers  :proud:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users