20 replies to this topic

#1 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:48 AM

I've been reading about the Vizard economin.  I would love to get hold of an Aviatrix MPG gauge like the one he used however I imagine they are extremely rare.  Does anyone on here know if there is any sort of MPG gauge available which measures actual fuel used - I'm not interested in a vacuum gauge.

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 August 2018 - 10:21 AM

There were a few after market computers available in the 80's, like the Sparkrite Voyager for one, I did have one of these (still have it in fact), fairly easy DIY to install and easy to calibrate, it could give a whole host of info, including MPG.

There were a few others, I do have another to fit up, and is a much more basic computer than the Sparkrite unit, I'll have a look at the brand next time I'm in the shed.

They have a speed sensor, which on the Sparkrite unit was magnets that can be fitted to one of the Pot Joints and a Pick-up Coil, there's also a fuel sensor that measures quantity of fuel flow through it and that mounts near the carb. From memory, it can also be used on fuel systems that have a return line. Not sure if it will be OK with Injection type pressures though.

I have seen the Sparkrite units come up from time to time on fleebay.

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:16 AM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.  There were a lot of interesting things available back in the day that just aren't around now.  It's difficult even to find interesting car accessory shops anymore in some parts of England.  It's almost as if people don't do much to their cars anymore!

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.  There were a lot of interesting things available back in the day that just aren't around now.  It's difficult even to find interesting car accessory shops anymore in some parts of England.  It's almost as if people don't do much to their cars anymore!

It isn't so much that "people don't do much to their cars", as, that they simply can't.

The computer says "No", sorry.

#5 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

Yeah ent that the truth.  But you can still change the oil, check tyre pressures and change bulbs on modern cars, but it's rare to hear of anyone doing that these days.  If someone sees you take a wheel off they think you're a professional mechanic!

#6 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:23 AM

Its so true on cars now they really don't want you doing anything...

Some have covers over the oil filter

range rovers only have a dipstick behind the steering wheel

Main agents almost have a monopoly on the job, you need a 4k scanner to switch a dash light off

Their  'mechanics'  are fitters, without a scanner they are completely knackered and not much good even with one

#7 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:21 AM

Yes, sadly the Modern cars seem 'engineered' such that accessories can't be added or the car 'tinkered' with these days and so has largely doomed that market. There was a glorious rage of gear available years ago, that seemed to dry up in the late 90's.

Modern cars are boring.

#8 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:52 AM

Yeah ent that the truth.  But you can still change the oil, check tyre pressures and change bulbs on modern cars, but it's rare to hear of anyone doing that these days.  If someone sees you take a wheel off they think you're a professional mechanic!

Two comments.

Have you ever tried changing the headlamp bulb on a Renault Megane?    without removing the front of the car.

If some one sees you taking the wheel off, they will say "Fair's fair, I'm having the battery if you are stealing the wheels"

#9 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Hi,

These days you can ruin a car fitting accessories!

Even the universal fag lighter socket has a low power limit on it now, as the manufacturers have cut back on the wire size and there's more than one reason for it.

Now that things have become electronically linked to each other there's interaction between things you would never imagine.

Even going back to the launch of the very first ford focus, nearly 20 years ago, they had an alternator controlled by the engine ECU.

Soon as that happened measuring battery voltage when the engine is running told you nothing!

Most of the systems are to reduce emissions, including the ECU controlled alternator.  :mmkay:

Voltage goes up on cold starts with lots of load from heated screens, blower and wiper motors so it draws less current.

Switch your headlights on and the alternator slowly adjusts to the load rather than dumping the load onto the engine like a normal alternator.

New vehicles now have smart charging, an evolution of that system. If the battery is above 12.5v it doesn't charge it until the ECU decides to do so!

Cheers  :proud:

#10 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:56 AM

Two comments.

Have you ever tried changing the headlamp bulb on a Renault Megane?    without removing the front of the car.

If some one sees you taking the wheel off, they will say "Fair's fair, I'm having the battery if you are stealing the wheels"

Yes I've heard about such headlamp bulb horrors on some cars.  Thing is if you travel in France you have to carry a spare bulb kit.  Do you now have to carry the tools to remove the front end to change it too?  And for most people they'd need to carry someone to do the work for them at all times.  These bulb kits must take up at lot of room these days!

#11 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:14 AM

Its so true on cars now they really don't want you doing anything...

Some have covers over the oil filter

range rovers only have a dipstick behind the steering wheel

Main agents almost have a monopoly on the job, you need a 4k scanner to switch a dash light off

Their  'mechanics'  are fitters, without a scanner they are completely knackered and not much good even with one

Somehow I've managed to do all the work on the more modern cars we've had (apart from sorting the air conditioning) but I've just been lucky with the work that's needed doing.  Although saying that I fixed a few obscure electronic problems on my old 2001 E class (the car only cost £1000 - had it six years!) but the last problem beat me.  I scrapped the thing as it was worthless (especially as it was petrol) and bought my Mini!  Sorry to see it go in some ways as it was a pre fatness car and was nice to drive when working properly.  My wife's car's a 2011 Focus which is almost wider than the Mercedes (the Merc is supposed to be a big car, the Focus isn't).  That replaced a 2002 Focus - the earlier car I think was better in just about every way possible.  At least it still has a dipstick though - how 20th Century.

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:22 AM

There's MPGuino  which you can also make yourself. Much easier if you have fuel injection. For a carb you'd need a flow meter, there are possibilities on Ebay.

#13 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:45 AM

Modern electrics make a joke of being  'green'  they tend to be the downfall of cars and why you need a new one, really green.

The Pug 205 was a good car with really poor french wiring, which must have caused 1000's to be scrapped.

Most of the electronic crap you don't need anyway...I can't wait for a self sensing heated steering wheel hahhaha

I wouldn't care if the bloody stuff actually did what it was supposed to do

Like soft touch switches, and all the self sensing crap that I can react faster than.

Cats are another green con, guess they tick more EU green boxes like the scrapage scheme, disposing of perfectly good classic cars for no reason other than selling more new ******* on the premise of being greener.

Gullible is not in the dictionary

#14 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:03 AM

There's MPGuino  which you can also make yourself. Much easier if you have fuel injection. For a carb you'd need a flow meter, there are possibilities on Ebay.

That's an interesting one, thanks.  I prefer the mechanical simplicity of the Aviatrics one with the analogue gauge though but I doubt anyone makes such things now so this may be the only way of doing it.

#15 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hi,

As far as the green con goes you've only got to look at the diesel gate scandal...

In fact it really goes back to the late 80s when diesel cars were being encouraged.

Cheers  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users