20 replies to this topic

#16 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

Modern electrics make a joke of being  'green'  they tend to be the downfall of cars and why you need a new one, really green.

The Pug 205 was a good car with really poor french wiring, which must have caused 1000's to be scrapped.

Most of the electronic crap you don't need anyway...I can't wait for a self sensing heated steering wheel hahhaha

I wouldn't care if the bloody stuff actually did what it was supposed to do

Like soft touch switches, and all the self sensing crap that I can react faster than.

Cats are another green con, guess they tick more EU green boxes like the scrapage scheme, disposing of perfectly good classic cars for no reason other than selling more new ******* on the premise of being greener.

Gullible is not in the dictionary

Electronic "improvements"  on the newer Focus include:

reversing sensors which are really loud, cannot be switched off and either overreact or miss things;

auto dipping mirror which didn't always dip when needed with no manual overide (Mercedes one worked very well);

traction controls which cuts power at the slightest tyre scrabble in the dry just as you've pulled out and need maximum power - highly dangerous (again Mercedes one worked very well);

automatic headlight activation which thankfully you don't have to use; rain sensing intermittent wipe which isn't that good (Merecedes one much better);

turning heater to cold automatically puts air-con on - if I want it on I'll switch it on;

a completely distracting and hard to use radio thing which dazzles at night unless you fiddle with the settings which are buried deep in the rubbish menu - a dim/bright switch would have sufficed;

and an interior light between the visors which dazzles you when you switch the ignition off at night and it comes on without being asked - at least this can be switched off. 

The Mercedes did the above much better despite being ten years older but it prefered instead to take out the abs/traction control/emergency braking system all together and then lock the transmission into second gear at the slightest sniff of a problem - managed to fix it a few times - one was a broken abs sensing ring on the driveshaft so something quite simple - but the third time it then got stuck in neutral and the starter motor wouldn't operate so I scrapped it and bought a Mini.

#17 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:36 AM

It would be much "greener" to fit refit older cars with modern engines.  The aircraft industry fits newer engines and avionics to older airframes until the airframes are no longer viable.  Of course this would spoil the profits of large automotive corporations.  Imagine the loss of VAT for the government too so ideas like that are heretical.

#18 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Yeah ent that the truth.  But you can still change the oil, check tyre pressures and change bulbs on modern cars, but it's rare to hear of anyone doing that these days.  If someone sees you take a wheel off they think you're a professional mechanic!

Two comments.

Have you ever tried changing the headlamp bulb on a Renault Megane?    without removing the front of the car.

If some one sees you taking the wheel off, they will say "Fair's fair, I'm having the battery if you are stealing the wheels"

Yes I've heard about such headlamp bulb horrors on some cars.  Thing is if you travel in France you have to carry a spare bulb kit.  Do you now have to carry the tools to remove the front end to change it too?  And for most people they'd need to carry someone to do the work for them at all times.  These bulb kits must take up at lot of room these days!

For some reason my wife is questioning whether the bikini clad, hot mechanic, in the back of my car, wasn't wearing overalls, because of the hot weather.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,923 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

There were a few others, I do have another to fit up, and is a much more basic computer than the Sparkrite unit, I'll have a look at the brand next time I'm in the shed.

This other Unit I have is branded Okonomi. I believe they were offered by Leyland through the dealers at one point, maybe not in the UK, but possibly in Europe.

#20 smurfomatic

smurfomatic

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

For some reason my wife is questioning whether the bikini clad, hot mechanic, in the back of my car, wasn't wearing overalls, because of the hot weather.

Is this your mechanic?

giphy.gif

#21 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

There were a few others, I do have another to fit up, and is a much more basic computer than the Sparkrite unit, I'll have a look at the brand next time I'm in the shed.

This other Unit I have is branded Okonomi. I believe they were offered by Leyland through the dealers at one point, maybe not in the UK, but possibly in Europe.

OK, thanks for that.  That's a couple to look out for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users