9 replies to this topic

#1 Syma

Syma

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:10 PM

I have the opportunity to buy one of two 1275 engines. One is a pre A plus and the other an A plus. Is there an advantage to either? I am leaning towards the pre A plus because my current 998 is as well and in the future I could swap gear boxes if needed. I haven't seen either in person but the are both not seized.

Thoughts?

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,931 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

Either engine will fit the gearbox, so I wouldn't let that be a limiting factor.

On paper, they are much for muchness, however, I've found the Pre-A+ type blocks, just before the went to A+ to be the best of any of them, however the A+ type Con Rods (and also fitted to 1275's just before going to A+) are a better Rod.

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

as above there is little it it and both will be fine on your box.

#4 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

Either engine will fit the gearbox, so I wouldn't let that be a limiting factor.

On paper, they are much for muchness, however, I've found the Pre-A+ type blocks, just before the went to A+ to be the best of any of them, however the A+ type Con Rods (and also fitted to 1275's just before going to A+) are a better Rod.

Interesting I never new the A plus rod were fitted to the pre A plus block. But kinda tys in with a pre A plus engine I stripped the other day which has the A plus rods     

BUT also has the cam6232 crank which I call the A plus crank...

Question

Did the last of the pre A plus blocks come with the cam crank aswell as the rods???

#5 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: CDMC

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:45 PM

Some of them must have I think

Bit like you I came across one not long since with the cam crank and A+ rods...bit unexpected, pretty sure it has never been rebuilt.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:32 AM

The early 1275 A+ Blocks had the earlier crank (and I think that was the case for a couple of years as they had issues with the rolled radius cranks).

The Cams in these early engines too, if I recall were spade drive but the profile was the same as the pre-A+

We got the early A+ engines here in the last of the Mokes. I gotta say, they were nothing short of dreadful.

#7 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

Ausy guinea pigs ??

When was the last Moke....?

I never twigged on the cams but know they had issues with the fillet radii

#8 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

Ausy guinea pigs ??

Guinea Pigs - definitely !!

Last Moke off our lines was December 81. My first Moke, an October 79 plate (so built around July 79, however, as the engine was fully imported from the UK, it would have rolled off those lines around Feb - March 1979) had an 1275 A+ in it. A mates Moke, only 4 numbers after mine had a pre-A+, so it was right on the change over. His went like the clappers and mine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard, drank fuel like no tomorrow too.

The machining on these early A+ Blocks was really awful, nothing was flat, nothing was square.  The Cam Profile was the same as mortal 1275 engines, which was also the same as the MKI Cooper S and the 998 Cooper.

#9 MIGLIACARS

MIGLIACARS

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:45 PM

Ausy guinea pigs ??

Guinea Pigs - definitely !!

Last Moke off our lines was December 81. My first Moke, an October 79 plate (so built around July 79, however, as the engine was fully imported from the UK, it would have rolled off those lines around Feb - March 1979) had an 1275 A+ in it. A mates Moke, only 4 numbers after mine had a pre-A+, so it was right on the change over. His went like the clappers and mine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice custard, drank fuel like no tomorrow too.

The machining on these early A+ Blocks was really awful, nothing was flat, nothing was square.  The Cam Profile was the same as mortal 1275 engines, which was also the same as the MKI Cooper S and the 998 Cooper.

Hi I have seen you have been quite vocal on the poor machining of the early A plus  do you think the later a plus engines were ok!!

#10 Retroman

Retroman

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:48 PM

I would say so as long as its not a block with the cast hole above the centre main bearing...

Why would you do that ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users