21 replies to this topic

#1 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:50 PM

hello everyone! i purchase a engine from an Swedish inport 1970 austin 1300gt to install on my 1980 998 Austin mini. so the remote gear case was missing from the engine. i bought one with sandwich plate but when i shift to first gear the gear is wobbly but only on first gear. my mechanic told me that i have the wrong remote gear on it. so he said that 22a250 remote gear is the right one, but I've been looking online and the screw holes are from the bottom into the case, while the other one is bolted through the sandwich plate. does anyone come across with this problem? also when i release the clutch slowly i feel a small vibration. i don't know if is anything to do with it. many thanks

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 11 August 2018 - 11:17 PM

yep you have a ADO16 gearbox and shifter they can be used in the Mini but you need to make sure the engine is very well retained. the Mini version of box and remote does not use the sandwich plate.

r8DuCy0.jpg

#3 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

hi mate thanks for the reply.
should i drill and tap to make it fit? im a bit worried if it's something wrong with the gearbox. my gearbox number is: h sm 22g1128 mowog. many thanks

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

You have the correct remote for the diff casing - you can’t mix and match.
Although the 1300GT ‘box and remote weren’t the original fitment to a Mini, they work fine other than needing some inventiveness for the rear mount on the remote.
Your problem is elsewhere and your mechanic is sending you up a blind alley.

#5 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:13 PM

thanks for the reply. i was wondering the problem come from were the gears are selected on the radiator side. i may manage to get there with out removing the engine by removing the radiator and engine mounting and accessing were the speedo cable goes. thanks

#6 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:17 PM

https://photos.app.g...eAaQaUpJFdRQks6

#7 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

https://photos.app.g...f4yAkFFnwCHGZx7

#8 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

there is a video of the exercise play while first is engaged.and a picture of the cooper remote gear. the one installed is the one with sandwich plate in the middle.

#9 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:13 PM

Yes you have a ADO gearbox and a mini remote.

Best solution may be to add the rubber sandwich plate and get an ADO remote change.

As stated, think about an additional engine steady - but in reality, you are no worse off than you would be with a rod change type stability wise.

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 05:40 AM

Sorry, is the second photo what you have installed, or at you just showing us what the Mini remote looks like when out against the ADO16 ‘box?

#11 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

hi mate. the second pic is the one that my mechanic told me to buy. the one i have in is the one with sandwich plate. many thanks

#12 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:12 AM

hello everyone! i purchase a engine from an Swedish inport 1970 austin 1300gt to install on my 1980 998 Austin mini. so the remote gear case was missing from the engine. i bought one with sandwich plate but when i shift to first gear the gear is wobbly but only on first gear. my mechanic told me that i have the wrong remote gear on it. so he said that 22a250 remote gear is the right one, but I've been looking online and the screw holes are from the bottom into the case, while the other one is bolted through the sandwich plate. does anyone come across with this problem? also when i release the clutch slowly i feel a small vibration. i don't know if is anything to do with it. many thanks

If the remote bolts through the sandwich plate into the remote then you have the correct remote for that diff casing. The one your mechanic mentioned is the Cooper(s)/Mk3 type which uses a different diff casing.
Have a look at the knuckles on the external part of the gear linkage (on top of the diff case)for misadjustement or excessive wear.

Edited by whistler, 15 August 2018 - 09:12 AM.

#13 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

hi mate. the second pic is the one that my mechanic told me to buy. the one i have in is the one with sandwich plate. many thanks

but that aint right for your box and i dont think your box has enough material to drill and tap.

just use the correct parts together. then make sure the linkage on-top of the diff housing is assembled correctly and tight also check that you have all the parts in the gearstick area. it should all work fine but as said before an extra engine stabiliser or 2 would not be a bad idea.

#14 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:35 PM

but that aint right for your box and i dont think your box has enough material to drill and tap.

just use the correct parts together. then make sure the linkage on-top of the diff housing is assembled correctly and tight also check that you have all the parts in the gearstick area. it should all work fine but as said before an extra engine stabiliser or 2 would not be a bad idea.

hi mate. i already checked all the linkage but i don't see anything wrong with it. looks like is coming from inside of the gear box. i will have to open to see if anything wrong. the engine has already 3 engine stabiliser 2 on the bottom and one on the top. many thanks for your help

#15 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

If the remote bolts through the sandwich plate into the remote then you have the correct remote for that diff casing. The one your mechanic mentioned is the Cooper(s)/Mk3 type which uses a different diff casing.
Have a look at the knuckles on the external part of the gear linkage (on top of the diff case)for misadjustement or excessive wear.

I've been looking around and all linkage is fine. i shift into first and move the gear knob around and the linkage moves as well. so im suspecting the problem is from inside. there is a little play were the linkage enters the gearbox but i don't see any bushes to replace. many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users