21 replies to this topic

#16 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

Possibly worn out or bent 1st/2nd gear selector fork.

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:07 PM

hello everyone! i purchase a engine from an Swedish inport 1970 austin 1300gt to install on my 1980 998 Austin mini. so the remote gear case was missing from the engine. i bought one with sandwich plate but when i shift to first gear the gear is wobbly but only on first gear. my mechanic told me that i have the wrong remote gear on it. so he said that 22a250 remote gear is the right one, but I've been looking online and the screw holes are from the bottom into the case, while the other one is bolted through the sandwich plate. does anyone come across with this problem? also when i release the clutch slowly i feel a small vibration. i don't know if is anything to do with it. many thanks

If the remote bolts through the sandwich plate into the remote then you have the correct remote for that diff casing. The one your mechanic mentioned is the Cooper(s)/Mk3 type which uses a different diff casing.
Have a look at the knuckles on the external part of the gear linkage (on top of the diff case)for misadjustement or excessive wear.

I've been looking around and all linkage is fine. i shift into first and move the gear knob around and the linkage moves as well. so im suspecting the problem is from inside. there is a little play were the linkage enters the gearbox but i don't see any bushes to replace. many thanks

numbers 7 in the image http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#18 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,900 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

This issue is one big thing I don't like about remote type shifters. There are lots and lots of individual parts between the gear knob and the selector fork inside the gearbox, many held in place with pinch bolts on splines and other's located by bolts with lock nuts and only about 50% are externally accessible. Give the end action that's needed, it's extraordinary that there's any feel to them at all. There's also quite a few parts for the system that are NLA.

OK, rant over.

I suspect here the shifter housing that you have is worn out, with the main shift rod floating all over the place. Depending on what type you have and how bad it is, it maybe possible to re-bush it, but really, as above, there is just so many parts in the entire shift mechanism that they all should be looked at and overhauled.

#19 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:06 PM

hello everyone! i purchase a engine from an Swedish inport 1970 austin 1300gt to install on my 1980 998 Austin mini. so the remote gear case was missing from the engine. i bought one with sandwich plate but when i shift to first gear the gear is wobbly but only on first gear. my mechanic told me that i have the wrong remote gear on it. so he said that 22a250 remote gear is the right one, but I've been looking online and the screw holes are from the bottom into the case, while the other one is bolted through the sandwich plate. does anyone come across with this problem? also when i release the clutch slowly i feel a small vibration. i don't know if is anything to do with it. many thanks

If the remote bolts through the sandwich plate into the remote then you have the correct remote for that diff casing. The one your mechanic mentioned is the Cooper(s)/Mk3 type which uses a different diff casing.
Have a look at the knuckles on the external part of the gear linkage (on top of the diff case)for misadjustement or excessive wear.
I've been looking around and all linkage is fine. i shift into first and move the gear knob around and the linkage moves as well. so im suspecting the problem is from inside. there is a little play were the linkage enters the gearbox but i don't see any bushes to replace. many thanks
numbers 7 in the image http://www.minispare...|Back to search

thanks

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

This issue is one big thing I don't like about remote type shifters. There are lots and lots of individual parts between the gear knob and the selector fork inside the gearbox, many held in place with pinch bolts on splines and other's located by bolts with lock nuts and only about 50% are externally accessible. Give the end action that's needed, it's extraordinary that there's any feel to them at all. There's also quite a few parts for the system that are NLA.

OK, rant over.

I suspect here the shifter housing that you have is worn out, with the main shift rod floating all over the place. Depending on what type you have and how bad it is, it maybe possible to re-bush it, but really, as above, there is just so many parts in the entire shift mechanism that they all should be looked at and overhauled.

my first Mini brake down on a Motorway was one of the pinch nuts on the top of the diff housing coming lose.

#21 pogie

pogie

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • Local Club: Essex MC

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

I had a 1300 GT engine and box in a Clubman in the 80s and I had a few problems with the gear shift. 

First make sure you use the correct shouldered bolts to attach the sandwich plate to the gearbox and remote housing.  If you use ordinary bolts you can end up with a lot of movement regardless of how tight you do them up. 

https://www.minispar...px|Back to shop

Also check knuckle joint which is on the back of the gearbox above the diff housing, if these are worn or the pinch bolts are loose you can have problems selecting gears. 

#22 Vites

Vites

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

I had a 1300 GT engine and box in a Clubman in the 80s and I had a few problems with the gear shift.

First make sure you use the correct shouldered bolts to attach the sandwich plate to the gearbox and remote housing. If you use ordinary bolts you can end up with a lot of movement regardless of how tight you do them up.

Also check knuckle joint which is on the back of the gearbox above the diff housing, if these are worn or the pinch bolts are loose you can have problems selecting gears.

hi mate. thanks for the comment. I did try all that. thanks for the advice. i will keep looking for the problem. many thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users