Photo
- - - - -

So Many Problems I Just Don't Know Where To Start.

engine suspension

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Local Club: NA intrested though?

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

Hi guys,

I am concerned that the beautiful mini I bought has been hiding some dirty little secrets.

So i have owned the min for maybe 2 months now. (its a 2000 mini cooper mpi with sports pack).

the car looked perfect when i got it. (and it wasnt cheap by all means).

the previous owner said it had a respray however i was stupid enough to not ask when.

as a result what im finding now are little bubbles popping up here and there. (i guess this is kind of expected and there arent many).  I would like to keep on top of this but im not actually sure how to as its a pearlescent paint and as i understand you cant really sand and buff this paint like you would others but i dont want the new paint job to look horrible because you can see odd spots everywhere where its been respayed and blended in.

the second issue i have found is some cracks have appeared (next to the a pillars?) just under the left and right sides of the windscreen. (i would add photos but cant work out how or cant get it to work).

the next issue i have is the previous owner put a straight through pipe on it.  I replaced this with a new cat this weekend as im pretty sure that its illegal to not have one on a car of my year.  during doing this i feel like the exhaust may be blowing near the exhaust manifold. however, i cant really be sure because the air intake is so loud with the k&n filter and its a really difficult position to get a hand it to feel for air. any advice on checking this?

the next issue that i found is that often but not always the car idles really high (like 1500 to some time even 2000 rpm) i thought that perhaps a good service would sort this so did that last weekend (it did not really help to be honest) and this weekend i thought maybe i needed to check the rocker valve clearances (they were all more or less spot on) but i found 2 of the new spark plugs seemed pretty soiled (black and the other two alot better but kind of white).  any idea what this might suggest? 

the next issue im suffering from is a squeaking on the passenger side which i cant tell if its suspension or something more serious like a clutch release bearing?  originally the squeaking was only when pulling off or if i was in to high a gear.  but this weekend i went to change the suspension to coils (i realised coiled arent a favourite on here but wasnt really informed well enough before purchasing them).  none the less i wasnt actually able to change them because i couldn't get the  (metric compressor tool into the cones? any ideas? i wouldnt have thought a 2000 had imperials on them).  and now the squeaking is continuous as a drive?

my final issue im worried about is a bit of a thumping/banging noise which sounds as though its coming for transmission of engine when coasting in gear say down hill. any ideas or advice?

to summarise:

1. repairing rust bubbles and these cracks that have apeared?

2. blowing exhaust

3.  high revs at idle 

4.  soiled spark plugs in probably less than 100 miles

5.  squeaking.

6.  banging

the oil in the car is still very clean and doesnt look as though ive lost any and these seems to be no leaks any where. 

really sorry for the long essay just feeling a little down about all the issues im finding and not being able to resolve.

thanks in advance for any help and advice.

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:30 PM

Post pictures using Imgur. Then use the BBCode(message boards and forums)

#3 hazpalmer14

hazpalmer14

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Local Club: cumbria mini cruisers

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

The high idle could be the stepper motor

#4 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

You will find the cracks near windscreen is eithe filler or bad welding . The mechanics will be easy to sort out. Source all the parts to sort air filter and exhaust. Grease all the suspension parts has manual states .Can't see how this would of passed an mot with the modifications you say that have been done

#5 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:48 PM

I think the air filter is fine. but i cant tell if and where the blowing is coming from exactly? just the air going through the filt is too loud for me to pin point it.

i greased all the joints already. it hasnt helped with the squeaking in anyway at all.

to be honest i dont know how it got through an mot without the cat on.  but the guy i bought it from claimed it went in like that and came out without any issues and i did check online and it did have an mot? but i figured i dont want to risk it and was hoping it might be a little quiter and smell less of fuel with one on.

You will find the cracks near windscreen is eithe filler or bad welding . The mechanics will be easy to sort out. Source all the parts to sort air filter and exhaust. Grease all the suspension parts has manual states .Can't see how this would of passed an mot with the modifications you say that have been done

#6 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:49 PM

sorry for my ignorance but could you please tell me where and what this stepper motor for?  do you know how i could test if its faulty?

The high idle could be the stepper motor

#7 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

is imgur as website? ive googled it and it looks like some memes message board?

Post pictures using Imgur. Then use the BBCode(message boards and forums)

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,897 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:04 PM

Imgur.com, its the forums favoured photo hosting website and its free.

#9 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

The compressor tool can be difficult to get started in the thread on the cone but it does go in eventually.  I was convinced mine were imperial as the thread's slightly smaller, but they were metric and yours certainly will be for that model year.  You're probably best forgetting about those coil springs though, there's all kinds of horror stories about them.

#10 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:23 PM

Fitting coils is unnecessary and will probably give you far more problems in the long run.....you would be better fixing the existing rubber cone suspension, if it is squeaking it could be the knuckle joint has worn through its cup in the top suspension arm.... is the car lower at the front on the squeaking side?

As you may know later MPi Minis are prone to rust so the bubbles appearing may be minor or sign of a major problem hidden below the surface perhaps by the last respray, use a magnet to look for filler, check especially around the later wide windscreen rubber/lower windscreen scuttle area as this is a very common rust area on MPi's. Sometimes they are even rusting inside under the top dash padded rail....

Not unusual for plug colour to differ between centre two cylinders and outer two on an A series engine.

If you want a quieter intake refit the standard Rover MPi air filter assembly.......you can fit a standard shape K&N type filter inside if you wish.

Edited by mab01uk, 12 August 2018 - 07:25 PM.

#11 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

The pearlescent will be really difficult to blend in patches. It will have a clear coat over the colour too ... you might need to talk to a paint shop.

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

You can also add pics as attachments using the Reply in Full Version ...

#13 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Thanks ill give it a try again. maybe be a little more patient.  are the springs really that bad? i spent a pretty penny on them and it just feels such a waste.  the reason i wanted them was mainly for longevity.

The compressor tool can be difficult to get started in the thread on the cone but it does go in eventually.  I was convinced mine were imperial as the thread's slightly smaller, but they were metric and yours certainly will be for that model year.  You're probably best forgetting about those coil springs though, there's all kinds of horror stories about them.

#14 richardtrivella

richardtrivella

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:41 PM

I'd be happy taking it to a paint shop if it was a one off but i feel like it would cost a fortune if i took it to them every single time i came across a rust bubble.  and i dont want to leave them to get bad before sorting them out.

The pearlescent will be really difficult to blend in patches. It will have a clear coat over the colour too ... you might need to talk to a paint shop.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:48 PM

Ideally you need someone who really knows their way around a classic Mini to have an in-depth look at your car.

But first of all, send the horrible coil springs back and get a refund. The exhaust and other mechanical issues are easy to sort out.

However, the weak point with all Minis, especially the later ones, is rust, rust and more rust.You need to first establish the extent of the rust and then arrive at a plan to resolve it. The lower screen scuttle panel is very prone to rust on the later cars, together with the A-panel, inner & outer sills, door skins, rear valence, front panel and the rear of the boot floor. Get these areas checked in detail.

With a metallic paint it is possible a full re-paint will be needed, but don't decide that until the full extent of the body corrosion is established. Get an expert to go over it. There may be someone fairly local to you on here who can help. It is a bit far for me, although if you want to bring it to my place, which is 12 miles from Huntingdon towards Ely, I'll be happy to take a good look at no charge.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, suspension

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users