38 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:05 PM

Went to mitp today and was pretty disappointed. Not sure if it was the weather forecast that kept the classic minis away but the numbers were a fraction of other years plus the invasion of new minis made it more of a BMW show. Did anyone else go?

#2 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:08 PM

I went and was there for less than 2 hours. It's a local show for me and I've always looked forward to mitp, but this year was a bit mehh

#3 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:19 PM

Least said! would sum it up, in my opinion CRAP!!! I only went because I was asked by MiniWorld so at least

my entry was FREE, otherwise 40 quids worth of petrol at a night in a bed and Breakfast, 

I did wonder why TMF only had a few takers for their entries, with the amount of folks that have Nice Cars on

here where were they????????????????

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

I went in 2016, expected it to be really good but was quite disappointed with it. it wouldn't have been as bad if it wasn't a 600mile round trip. Seemed to be a lot of Bini's there then and even more now seeing photos.

#5 Chris1992

Chris1992

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

Have to agree, I probably wouldn't have gone if Mini Mag hadn't kindly paid for my ticket. Now I have nothing against Binis, I think they're good cars for what they are. But The sheer amount of them was just mind numbing, all looking like they'd been brought straight from the dealership to the show. The layout confused me too, with the Pride of Ownership area stuck right at the back, and it seemed the cars waiting to go on the strip had a better spot than most of the show cars! As others have said, I'm hoping it was just the weather the put people off (as it neatly did for me), as I have never seen it like this in the past years I've gone 

#6 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

I went every year from 1999 to 2013 and haven't been since. Unless you witnessed those early years it's hard to imagine what it used to be like, cars as far as you could see and it used to take you all day to walk round the trade stands. Great memories.

Phil.

#7 bae1994

bae1994

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

I went last year and was pretty dissapointed.I was only there for a couple of hours and I thought the entry price was abit steep considering what was there.

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:41 AM

I think there are probably just too many annual Mini shows now and with far less daily driver / everyday classic Minis on the road to support them all (unlike BMW MINI's which are now very affordable at all levels for MINI enthusiasts). However a few shows like Beaulieu Mini day and the London to Brighton with a long established reputation over many years and run by Mini Club enthusiasts do still deliver value for money and attract large numbers of both Mini's and MINI's whether daily drivers or pristine show cars.

Edited by mab01uk, 13 August 2018 - 06:42 AM.

#9 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:16 AM

I went every year from 1999 to 2013 and haven't been since. Unless you witnessed those early years it's hard to imagine what it used to be like, cars as far as you could see and it used to take you all day to walk round the trade stands. Great memories.

Phil.

Exactly what I was saying to my girlfriend yesterday.

#10 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:40 AM

Yeh, doubt i'll be going to this one again. There are two camps, "all show and no go" and "all go and no show", some of us (like me) site somewhere nicely between those two, and for me this was what MITP at Santa Pod was all about, the power and speed on the track, and the show and shine in the paddock. Quite frankly its all become show and shine, so why even bother holding the show at a track.........

#11 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

I live in Northampton and was there for less than 2 hours.  I'm a Bini owner too but took my classic as I always would, way too many Bini's and I agree, there was just no flow to the show. Usually a "For sale" area, didn't see it this time and on arrival, I was directed to general parking - there's so much space that Mini only parking shouldn't be a problem?  This show used to be epic, not sure I'll go next year.

#12 neon1991

neon1991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

we went and it was naff.  the last time I went to it was back in 2004 (I think) and it was massive.  I couldnt get over how small it was.  a hand full of traders and a shed load of burger vans! The traders that were there were nice enough and gave a fairly good discount but those asside,  it seemed half empty.

lacking in atmosphere and what there was of it seemed to be overrun with kids in BMW's playing very dodgy music.  I think I'm too old now. :D

#13 olly33

olly33

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Local Club: 42nd Street (back in day)

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:18 PM

Was trying to get on the Tmf stand at the last minute on here but was to late in asking. Given the weather and the £22 per adult (steep) on the gate I gave it a miss knowing the forecast for the day was a bit soggy.

Why don't they just charge per car..forget that I know Why!

#14 neon1991

neon1991

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Was trying to get on the Tmf stand at the last minute on here but was to late in asking. Given the weather and the £22 per adult (steep) on the gate I gave it a miss knowing the forecast for the day was a bit soggy.

Why don't they just charge per car..forget that I know Why!

dont know why you were too late... it only seemed like there was 4 or 5 cars from TMF.  it's not like the organisers were stuck for space.  the cars were like peas in a barrel

#15 Mabelmini

Mabelmini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Local Club: Rusty flange

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

Definitely more than 5 cars on tmf, we took 3 lol tho when they won best club stand they could only take a few in the ring and some was on the drag strip lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users