#1 Sy1275

Sy1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:03 PM

Hi all.
I’m Sy, looking at a mini this week, can’t wait. Fingers crossed it rocks all the right boxes

#2 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:34 PM

Just remember to check all the common areas for rust and have a look at the MoT history of the vehicle too

#3 Sy1275

Sy1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:48 PM

I have had a look on vehicle smart and there is hardly any mot history. The car has gone through a complete restoration from the ground up. There is apparently no rust or anything on the car what so ever

#4 Bat

Bat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:19 AM

Hi,

Will... Common areas of rust?

You mean the whole Mini don't you???  :lol:

Cheers  :proud:

#5 WillCarter

WillCarter

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

Hi,
Will... Common areas of rust?
You mean the whole Mini don't you??? :lol:
Cheers :proud:

Lol true, you could spend the whole day looking for rust and then some!

A few areas though would be: the sills, underneath the battery, around the roof sill (is that what it's called? I can't remember), the A pillers, along the doors, the scuttle, behind the headlights, underneath the doors and the floor of the inside of the car.

Obviously don't annoy the person who's selling it by taking his car appart but at the same time if he's hesitant about you looking here and there or if the carpets are stuck down then you should probably start to worry.

That's why I mentioned looking at the MoT history. Rust will be mentioned in it if it is present, so if it is, especially if it was an advisory for last year's, definitely make sure to check that area of rust!

Then your other basics. Make sure when you see it that the engine isn't hot or running. You want to see the car cold and turn it on yourself. Are there any strange noises/does it struggle to start? Check all the lights and electrics, ask for the guy to take it for a run with you. Watch out for clutch slips, engine noises and noises when changing the gears.
This might be difficult as mini's make a racket most of the time. But any noises that seem out of place.

Also check for any areas of paint that don't quite look right, it might be hiding something!

Check for rot underneath the radiator.

Check the condition of the tyres, although this is minor, if they're below the limit then you may need to trailer it home.

But I think the most important thing is BRING A MAGNET AND CHECK FOR RUST, rust is probably the most expensive and time consuming thing to sort out.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Edited by WillCarter, 13 August 2018 - 07:51 AM.

#6 Sy1275

Sy1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

Cheers man. Will keep you posted

#7 Sy1275

Sy1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

The car was in immaculate/show room condition. Pick the car up this weekend

#8 Sy1275

Sy1275

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

Attached File  34CFB465-BC44-47D1-AB87-2C6BA06E9DF9.jpeg   138.93K   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users