38 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:41 PM

Hello everyone. How can I identify what items where added to what is suposed to be a 75 Austin Mini? For example, the dash has 3 gauges, but Im not sure they were standard or extra option back then. Or for example, I noticed the intake manifold is labeled with a "minispares" text. So dont know if the carb is the original or something changed.

mini6.JPG
mini5.JPG
mini4.JPG
mini3.JPG
mini1.JPG

Edited by MiniMOIC, 13 August 2018 - 04:15 PM.

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:26 PM

I very much doubt that's a '75.

The roof gutter detail might be the clearest indicator if it's as late as it looks. A '75 ought to be a Mk3 with the front subframe bolted directly to the shell. Though it did change to the rubber mounted Mk4 not long after so I suppose it might be a very early one. Lots of the trim appears to be at least early 80's and later.

#3 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:36 PM

Agree with Ethel, that doesn't look right for a 75

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:45 PM

That's a mixed up Mini!  The outside is totally 1990's as are the dials.  The engine looks 70's the wiper switch is late 70's/early 80's.  Surely it would be easier to buy a 90's Mini than make a 70's one look 90's?!?

#5 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

That's a mixed up Mini!  The outside is totally 1990's as are the dials.  The engine looks 70's the wiper switch is late 70's/early 80's.  Surely it would be easier to buy a 90's Mini than make a 70's one look 90's?!?

It has had multiple owners, so I really have no idea what was done to this car over the years. I just bought it and as I said before, I would like to make it as close as possible to a 75.

So the dial will be the first thing to change, right? I will need to change it to a centre speedo. If the engine looks 70's thats where I want to take it back.

You mention the outside is totally 90s. But excatly what? Will it be too much to ask what should I change, and for what? 

TIA

#6 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

I think you'll find there were no indicator repeaters on the wings in '75 and the wheelarches and mirrors look later - try googling 'images of 1975 minis' for a starting point.

#7 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:33 PM

I think you'll find there were no indicator repeaters on the wings in '75 and the wheelarches and mirrors look later - try googling 'images of 1975 minis' for a starting point.

Excellent! thanks for all the info. Im sorry, Im a noob and I will be making a lot of questions. by the way. None of them were options available at the time? So the wheelarchers are not from a 75, but maybe an option later on?

Edited by MiniMOIC, 13 August 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#8 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

You mention the outside is totally 90s. But excatly what? Will it be too much to ask what should I change, and for what? 

Have you seen a 90's Mini Cooper?

Do you have documentation to say it's a '75 model year?

#9 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

Have you seen a 90's Mini Cooper?

Do you have documentation to say it's a '75 model year?

There are not a lot of Minis where I live (they never made it here)  my only source is the internet. The documentation I have says its a 75. The only thing about sourcing my knowledge out of the internet is that the first thing i found in goolge was this:

https://www.503motor...8e17fb5c01bc544

And that thing in the engine looks to me like an ECU.  :D

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,754 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:02 PM

Not much help, I know, but the speedometer doesn't read right and the steering wheel is in the wrong place, but the rust is in the usual places. Xd

#11 imack

imack

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

Dash and switch panel should be similar to this minus the tacho, this is a late '72 but pretty much the same as a 75.

Attached Files

#12 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

Not much help, I know, but the speedometer doesn't read right and the steering wheel is in the wrong place, but the rust is in the usual places. Xd

LOL!

:teehee:

#13 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:25 PM

It has got the correct washer bottle for '75, so that's a start  :D

There are plenty of differences, some that aren't particularly desirable especially as it'll never be concourse original if the shell and subframe are wrong.

This may be a useful resource for you and the big parts suppliers Minispares, Somerford and Moss have illustrated online parts catalogues that will give change dates. You could also look up what chassis/body/engine numbers you have to get a better idea of what it's actually supposed to be: Mk3, Mk4....

#14 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

It has got the correct washer bottle for '75, so that's a start  :D

There are plenty of differences, some that aren't particularly desirable especially as it'll never be concourse original if the shell and subframe are wrong.

This may be a useful resource for you and the big parts suppliers Minispares, Somerford and Moss have illustrated online parts catalogues that will give change dates. You could also look up what chassis/body/engine numbers you have to get a better idea of what it's actually supposed to be: Mk3, Mk4..

LOL

Thats a good start... When they ask me "whats original from 75?" I have something to say about the wassher bottle!

Thanks,

Links are great info. Chasis I have (and documentation) says its a XA2S1N.. 

#15 dotmatrix

dotmatrix

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Depending on the tax rules in your country it could be a 90'ies shell with a '75 vin number to save import tax and still get a newer car. I'm not saying it is, as i am not that food at telling Them appart. Just a thought.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users