#16 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

That's a mixed up Mini!  The outside is totally 1990's as are the dials.  The engine looks 70's the wiper switch is late 70's/early 80's.  Surely it would be easier to buy a 90's Mini than make a 70's one look 90's?!?

It has had multiple owners, so I really have no idea what was done to this car over the years. I just bought it and as I said before, I would like to make it as close as possible to a 75.

So the dial will be the first thing to change, right? I will need to change it to a centre speedo. If the engine looks 70's thats where I want to take it back.

You mention the outside is totally 90s. But excatly what? Will it be too much to ask what should I change, and for what? 

TIA

but why? we modded the F out of them when we got them, it has just been updated over the years as new bits came out.

#17 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

note the door mirrors are 80 on. so the doors could have been changed for less rusty ones.

#18 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

That's a mixed up Mini!  The outside is totally 1990's as are the dials.  The engine looks 70's the wiper switch is late 70's/early 80's.  Surely it would be easier to buy a 90's Mini than make a 70's one look 90's?!?

It has had multiple owners, so I really have no idea what was done to this car over the years. I just bought it and as I said before, I would like to make it as close as possible to a 75.

So the dial will be the first thing to change, right? I will need to change it to a centre speedo. If the engine looks 70's thats where I want to take it back.

You mention the outside is totally 90s. But excatly what? Will it be too much to ask what should I change, and for what? 

TIA

but why? we modded the F out of them when we got them, it has just been updated over the years as new bits came out.

to be honest I dont know. LOL.

I like the car, but I dont like somethings like the speedo not being at the center. It has electrical faults here and there, so I wanted to know how it looked originally to decide if I repair what it has, or put it back as it was back in the day.

#19 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

TIA

Good point.

#20 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

TIA

I like the car, but I dont like somethings like the speedo not being at the center. It has electrical faults here and there, so I wanted to know how it looked originally to decide if I repair what it has, or put it back as it was back in the day.

then just change things as you want to.  or fix what you have depending on what is the most cost effective. what you have now is basically what we did to the cars getting rid of the old boring center speedo unit and fit the new modern 3 clock set up. it has lager wheels than original and most likely bigger brakes.

also note changing things back may cause you more wiring issues.

#21 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:02 PM

TIA

then just change things as you want to.  or fix what you have depending on what is the most cost effective. what you have now is basically what we did to the cars getting rid of the old boring center speedo unit and fit the new modern 3 clock set up. it has lager wheels than original and most likely bigger brakes.

also note changing things back may cause you more wiring issues.

Very varlid points. Eye opener. Thanks, appretiate the feedback. 

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

It'd be on drum brakes if it was anywhere near that vintage as a round nose. I agree with everyone else, enjoy it for what it is. It's definitely a Mini which is all we care about.

You could convert to a centre speedo, but it's not that cheap to do unless you can find second hand parts. Minispares do a conversion loom if you don't fancy splicing cables yourself.

#23 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:19 AM

Thanks. I need to take a look to the car with a different mind set. 

#24 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:27 PM

The VIN plate is from the 70s too.

Has it got a UK registration etched into the glass? Also the date on the seat belt label is normally a good identifier of age. I'm going for 1995.

#25 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:38 PM

The VIN plate is from the 70s too.

Has it got a UK registration etched into the glass? Also the date on the seat belt label is normally a good identifier of age. I'm going for 1995.

It comes from the Netherlands. How does it look the date on the seat belt?

#26 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

There's a little white flap with details on it near the sill.

#27 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Surely it was imported from the UK being right hand drive?

#28 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

Surely it was imported from the UK being right hand drive?

Most likely, altough it was sold by a dealer in The Netherlands. 

#29 CityEPete

CityEPete

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

If it was registered here at any point then there's a chance the UK reg is etched on the glass if you look in the corners.

#30 MiniMOIC

MiniMOIC

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

OK Will look for the info at the seat belt and at the glasses. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users