5 replies to this topic

#1 Ljdavek

Ljdavek

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:19 AM

Hi all iv just got my first mini it a 1988 model and needs some help with electrics as it seems there’s bits missing and everything has been disconnected....

#2 Haynes

Haynes

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 12:17 PM

Best place to start is with the wiring diagram, which are in Haynes or here http://www.theminifo...agrams-redrawn/

I have an 88 but think its on the 84 wiring, assuming it was built prior to the 88 wiring being in use but it has been messed about with.

Is your car a runner or a project in bits?  

To get good answers there is a technical section on here but the more specific and detailed the question, the better the response.

#3 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 17 August 2018 - 07:49 PM

If you are new to Mini wiring then your best bet is a Haynes manual. There are lots of different wiring diagrams for the Mini and the manual will show you the correct diagram for your year and the colour codes to expect. One thing to keep in mind when tracing a wiring fault, is that BL used crimp connectors to connect multiple wires and hid them inside the wrapped loom. Over the years these crimps can break down so it pays to re-crimp, solder and shrink wrap these connections when you find one with a problem.

If you need some help, as Haynes says, be as detailed as you can, preferably with some pictures, for the best response.

Good luck.

#4 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 17 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Mike L has also put a lot of work into re-drawing the diagrams. Have a scroll through to find the one you need.

http://www.theminifo...agrams-redrawn/

#5 Ljdavek

Ljdavek

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hi ok I have the hayens manual and I think the right circuit printed off I took pictures of the bits that I’m working in the engine bay.... oh and what’s the bolt I need for the starter motor I have one but need the other??
Ok how do show photos on here?

Edited by Ljdavek, 17 August 2018 - 09:59 PM.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

Starter motor attachment bolt is 3/8" UNC. Length the same as the other one (to save me going to my workshop to measure one).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users