43 replies to this topic

#31 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:39 AM

Just a quick update - don't buy panels from aus mini spares, they ended up costing nearly double the price direct from mini spares uk!!

#32 scoop-deluxe

scoop-deluxe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:14 PM

Try John at minikingdomonline. A mate has bought heaps from him and prices have been ok. Discounted a fair bit off the retail which surprised me.

#33 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 06:51 AM

I will check them out for the next batch of panels, there is plenty to replace

#34 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:33 AM

So I received my over priced panels, and stated cutting out more of the rusty rear end.

IMG_1998_zpspvvtrtgf.jpg

Laying up the new rear step

IMG_2002_zps2xxyaqw6.jpg

Cutting out the old damaged / rusty step

IMG_2005_zps63wnjonp.jpg

IMG_2021_zpsj34ofk9o.jpg

#35 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

Now time for the lower rear 1/4's note how the filler is thicker then the steel!

IMG_2010_zpssb0folq4.jpg

Decades of rust, fibreglass, filler and neglect!

IMG_2011_zps7wmwugh5.jpg

IMG_2013_zpsw23f4zsh.jpg

IMG_2015_zpsdowlxdmw.jpg

IMG_2016_zps3blqpps1.jpg

IMG_2017_zps3pqzzunu.jpg

IMG_2018_zpsihwx64kd.jpg

#36 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

This photo says it all.  Every time I work on the van, I create another bucket of rusty panels

IMG_2020_zps4c65bgby.jpg

Edited by Guess Developments, 10 September 2018 - 11:17 AM.

#37 scoop-deluxe

scoop-deluxe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:11 AM

Great work. I've had a very similar van repair a few years ago. I have another one to do in another year or two, just have to wait its turn!

Looking good though.

#38 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:09 PM

Hoping to get all the major rust cut out in the next couple of weeks so I can then send it off for media blasting, and a quality epoxy primer all over

#39 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

Starting to build a rotisserie 

IMG_2086_zpsomh5bsvm.jpg

IMG_2085_zpsok3hgtj3.jpg

#40 Guess Developments

Guess Developments

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:21 AM

Continued on with the rotisserie today. I borrowed a friends Mig welder - it has been well over a decade since the last time I welded anything so pleasantly surprised with my first run.

IMG_2114_zps0ochbcrz.jpg

After a few hours of cutting, grinding and welding I managed to knock up the 2 ends for my rotisserie.

IMG_2115_zpsxswm5cth.jpg

IMG_2118_zpsxop4tgte.jpg

Hoping to get the the hardware sometime this week to pick up the supplies so I can finish off this little project, and get her upside down!

#41 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I saw "Australian" & "van" in the title and got excited (interesting project you've got, by the way).

I just purchased an Australian Mini van here in the States however I'm having a hard time finding out more info regarding the Australian production's unique attributes. What I've learned has been limited to what I found in the "Complete Mini Catalogue" book (the use of the Mk1 grille, unique floorpan, wind-up windows). I'm looking to learn more about the car and I'm hoping you or someone else might be able to shed some light on the facts. Among the questions I have:

• I've seen some examples with roof vents and read about that feature however my 1974 does not have one. Was this an option or did it cease to be a feature by 1974?
  • My van has door handles that are closer to a flush-fit design...rectangular with angled ends. Again, not sure when this feature started or ended.
  • The grill looks like a thin bladed Mk1 but it has an emblem in the grill. I haven't looked at it closely enough to determine if it appears to be original. Any ideas?
  • There is a battery tray under the bonnet but it has either been crudely re-welded to the inner wing or the addition of the tray was a previous owner's modification. What is the proper location for the battery?

Again, I apologize for the hi-jack but I'm really excited about my recent purchase and want to learn all I can about it. Thanks in advance to anyone for any knowledge sent my way.

#42 scoop-deluxe

scoop-deluxe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread but I saw "Australian" & "van" in the title and got excited (interesting project you've got, by the way).

I just purchased an Australian Mini van here in the States however I'm having a hard time finding out more info regarding the Australian production's unique attributes. What I've learned has been limited to what I found in the "Complete Mini Catalogue" book (the use of the Mk1 grille, unique floorpan, wind-up windows). I'm looking to learn more about the car and I'm hoping you or someone else might be able to shed some light on the facts. Among the questions I have:

• I've seen some examples with roof vents and read about that feature however my 1974 does not have one. Was this an option or did it cease to be a feature by 1974?
  • My van has door handles that are closer to a flush-fit design...rectangular with angled ends. Again, not sure when this feature started or ended.
  • The grill looks like a thin bladed Mk1 but it has an emblem in the grill. I haven't looked at it closely enough to determine if it appears to be original. Any ideas?
  • There is a battery tray under the bonnet but it has either been crudely re-welded to the inner wing or the addition of the tray was a previous owner's modification. What is the proper location for the battery?
Again, I apologize for the hi-jack but I'm really excited about my recent purchase and want to learn all I can about it. Thanks in advance to anyone for any knowledge sent my way.
Hi, if your van is 1974 then it would be a Leyland mini van. It will have the square clubman front.
The roof vent I'm not 100%. I had a 8-1973 that had one, but later ones I've seen have not. My 2 early ones both have them.
Mid 1971 all Australian Mini's had burst proof door latches with lift up (flappy) door handles. Only Australian cars had these handles and they are becoming hard to find good ones.
In mid '67 we also change our floor pressings. They had a full length channel for the hydro pipes to run in with bolt on covers to protect them. We just kept the same floorpan after hydro suspension stopped.
The battery should live behind the driver's seat (right side) and the spare wheel goes behind the left hand seat.
Hope that helps

#43 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info.
My ‘74 has the round nose front and it certainly appears to be original so I’m not sure what that means. I’m picking it up tomorrow so I’ll be able to have a better look at the details. There was a identification tag under the drivers seat which may shed some light on the matter.

A little concerned to hear about the availability of lift up handles. The driver’s door handle on mine is broken and I’ll definitely need to source a replacement.

Thanks again and good luck with your project!

#44 scoop-deluxe

scoop-deluxe

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

I suggest you start a build thread and then you can put photos up and ask all the questions you want!
I have lots of parts so I could help out that way too.
Good luck and have fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users