Photo
- - - - -

Sports Pack Something Funny Going On With Fuel Gauge!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

Hi chaps it’s been a long time, finally got myself a sports pack and true to nature have a slight issue already,
When I picked up the car the needle was completely on empty, I managed to squeeze £10 and that literally brimed it, not an issue, however whilst driving a long way once the needle hit half way it would just fall fast to empty and stay there, I pulled over and again managed To squeeze £10 in which again brimmed it and again fine for until it hit halfway then just fell to empty again, I’m confused ?
And help appreciated

Mini Cooper sports pack
1997 mpi

#2 hunterg30

hunterg30

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:19 AM

sender unit in the tank ,might be the float

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 18 August 2018 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, sound like the sender it's has a broken wire in the resistor element, about half way through.

#4 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:07 AM

Thank you guys for you’re help is the broken wire in the actual sender unit in the tank ? Is it best to just replace the whole sender and float
Thanks again
Lee

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:01 AM

They usually only come as a kit with the float on them anyway. You will need to make sure the tank is almost empty too when you do it, otherwise your spare wheel well will flood.

#6 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:29 AM

You haven't got crossed wires, and the temp gauge sender is telling the fuel gauge it is empty when the engine gets hot?

#7 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

Yes definitely broken wire in the sender unit. The fuel gauge reads normally up to the break, and then will suddenly drop to zero.

Easy job to replace, you just need to remember:

- Make sure fuel level is below the level of the sender before you take it out, or you’ll end up with petrol everywhere.

- Buy the correct sender unit. Mpi has fuel pump in the tank, so the Mpi sender unit has a couple of extra bends in the arm to clear this.

#8 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:48 PM

Brilliant thanks chaps, I’ll get one in order thanks again really appreciate it
Lee

#9 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

Just note also however that once you have fixed it you will probably find that from empty to brimmed is less than the tank capacity. The pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank and due to the size and shape of tank and the position the pump lies in, the pump would not be properly cooled by fuel if the tank was allowed to get properly empty. It seem to me from experimenting that the red empty line corresponds with the lowest fuel level that keeps the pump immersed. YMMV but that has been my experience of injection minis. I have burned out  a pump by letting it get properly properly empty once before. I find that I can get about 17 - 20 litres in from empty.

#10 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 04:49 PM

I had to change my sender once and even though I thought it was empty enough, the fuel level was exactly the same height as the bottom of the opening for the sender! can't believe i didn't spill any. 

I would recommend jacking up the right hand side or at least parking it on a curb to tilt it over..

Q

#11 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 18 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

could also be just the float mine once had a small hole and fuel got in and caused it to show empty when only half full

#12 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 03:39 PM

Cheers everyone Appreciate it, I’ve orders a new float and a rubber washer to go with it too, what’s the best way to get the fuel out safely ?

#13 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,302 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

Keep driving the car  ;D

#14 leepol83

leepol83

• Members
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

Ha ha !! That’s my thoughts too but don’t want to actually run out of fuel ? I was thinking maybe taking the tank out

#15 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 05:43 PM

Yes keep driving! It doesn’t need to be anywhere near completely empty, just below the level of the sender unit. On older Minis it’s easy enough to see this by shining a torch in the fuel tank. Might not be so easy on an MPI, with the restricted opening that only lets unleaded pumps fit.

Top tip: To take the locking ring off the sender unit, I found the flat edge of a kitchen knife works very well (the type you’d use to eat your dinner).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users