Chelsea_Pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Local Club: London & Surrey MOC

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:38 AM

Just a quick one - 

Where have people taken an 'Always Live' for the stereo? My aftermarket radio advised always live OR direct from battery, but direct flattened my battery over the weekend, so that's no good..

Ta, Pete

#2 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

There should be a wire already installed for the radio, have a look in the haynes manual wiring diagrams. 

#3 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:30 AM

Not a sparky but mine comes from the second one down (25amp) R/H side as you look at the fuse box from the front of the car, though to be honest I don't think this will cure your problem as the same load needed by the radio will still be present wherever you make the connection. Sounds like you may have a battery issue though I'm sure someone with more knowledge of these things will be along soon.   

Edited by Stu1961, 18 August 2018 - 11:28 AM.

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

The permanent live feed for the stereo is necessary for the station preset memory and for the clock.  It should indeed be an "always live" feed or direct from the battery which is the same thing anyway.  It's no good if your battery is being drained of course but this shouldn't happen unless your battery is very marginal or the stereo is faulty.  Is the stereo new? 

#5 Chelsea_Pete

Chelsea_Pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:57 PM

The permanent live feed for the stereo is necessary for the station preset memory and for the clock.  It should indeed be an "always live" feed or direct from the battery which is the same thing anyway.  It's no good if your battery is being drained of course but this shouldn't happen unless your battery is very marginal or the stereo is faulty.  Is the stereo new? 

No its about 10 years old now, only been connected with ignition until now so as you said no good for my presets etc.
Could well be a battery issue, just wired up new spotlights too so may not be coping with the load what with the night driving I've been doing this month.
I do have a free fuse terminal where Stu suggest so I'll hook it up there and see if it makes a difference

#6 mikal

mikal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:30 PM

I think there should be 2 wires needing +12V. One thin wire (orange maybe) always live for the station pre sets and one thicker red wire (with an inline fuse usually), that is switched via the ignition switch. 

#7 Chelsea_Pete

Chelsea_Pete

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:55 PM

Not a sparky but mine comes from the second one down (25amp) R/H side as you look at the fuse box from the front of the car, though to be honest I don't think this will cure your problem as the same load needed by the radio will still be present wherever you make the connection. Sounds like you may have a battery issue though I'm sure someone with more knowledge of these things will be along soon.   

This has done the trick, time will tell if it affects the battery.
Yes mikal, there are 2 12v feeds, I've fused both, was missing the (orange?) wire in my loom

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Fuse 2 and 3, 2 being the permanent live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users