#1 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:05 PM

Hi All,

I was just wondering if I can get some advice here? After a 20 year hiatus of owning a MINI (well two, originally) I've taken the plunge again and recently picked up a 1990 City 1000 Auto that's been in storage for a number of years - in the last 14 years the MOT history shows just a little less than 1,000 miles covered.

I've had the MINI MOT'd and he passed with a few usual advisories - slight play in ball joints and one of the number plate lights out. The MINI was low on the front and especially on the off side so I took the decision to put new shocks just to lift it. This has worked but the car still sits about 2cm lower on the off side to the near side - very evident when you look directly at the front valance.

I'm guessing this means I need to consider replacing the cones and the trumpets (a job I've never done). I'm aiming to keep the car as original as possible as he is 'as factory' but didn't know if, from a maintenance, ease and longevity point of VIEW, if I should consider springs / HILO? Or should I stay with cones and what would be the things to look out for?

I intend to use the MINI for a few weekends whilst we still have the weather then get into more serious restoration through winter but feel I need to address the fact he is wonkey sooner rather than later. Any advice for an old time newbie would be great!

Thanks

#2 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:20 PM

I'm rubbish when talking about off side near side etc. If by off side you mean driver side then it's normal as that's were there's always a person. Shocks don't really do anything to the ride height, they just help smooth out the bumps. Sounds like you need to replace the rubber dohnuts, as they do affect the ride height and while your there why not fit hilos

YetI

#3 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

As above, shocks don't do anything for ride hight. I would definitely stick with cones (heard bad things about springs). No need to replace the trumpets, all depends on if you're going to keep it all original, if your not then hi-lo's might be a better choice to get the ride height you want.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

You'll need new cones and knuckle joints and plastic cups ... I'd actually recommend reconditioned top arms as you'll need to remove the arm anyway.

So you need

2 cones
2 knuckle joints (and plastic cups)

Just incase you have issues I'd suggest

2 top arm pin kits

2 hilos

Not forgetting the cone compressor tool(buy the metric and imperial ended one)

#5 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

You'll need new cones and knuckle joints and plastic cups ... I'd actually recommend reconditioned top arms as you'll need to remove the arm anyway.

So you need

2 cones

2 top arm pin kits

2 hilos

Super - thank you very much!  I've seen some kits on various websites which seem to offer the above - just need to get stuck in now!

#6 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 02:09 PM

I'm rubbish when talking about off side near side etc. If by off side you mean driver side then it's normal as that's were there's always a person. Shocks don't really do anything to the ride height, they just help smooth out the bumps. Sounds like you need to replace the rubber dohnuts, as they do affect the ride height and while your there why not fit hilos

YetI

Sorry - Motor Trade Speak - Offside is Driver  :shifty:

#7 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

So you need

2 cones

2 top arm pin kits

2 hilos

Super - thank you very much!  I've seen some kits on various websites which seem to offer the above - just need to get stuck in now!

Jon,

+1 for Cal844's suggestions. If you're buying replacement cones be aware that cheaper cones can prove disappointing. With an Auto unit you've got more weight on the front wheels than the manual, so you need to get the best. Would recommend getting cones from Minispares.

And avoid springs unless all of  your driving is on super-smooth roads with no potholes or sleeping policemen...

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

So you need

2 cones

2 top arm pin kits

2 hilos

Super - thank you very much! I've seen some kits on various websites which seem to offer the above - just need to get stuck in now!

Yeah don't forget the cone compressor tool, there is one available with the imperial and metric threads, you'll need it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suspension

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users